Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC/DSCL1: Path of Least Licensing Resistance?

Established Poster

FAC/DSCL1: Path of Least Licensing Resistance?

I just had a few queries regarding the whole FAC vs DSC acquisition process. Upon doing some reading around here it seems that there is quite a variety of opinions on the usefulness and necessity of such courses; however, what I am basically looking for is the path of least resistance on the road to (i) purchasing a new rifle and (ii) stalking with it. I am a recent import to this side of the Atlantic so I am attempting to do some deer stalking over here - more or less just trying to figure out how to be able to do it at the moment.
    My basic question is: what is the best procedure for acquiring a deer caliber rifle? should I apply for an FAC first or do the DSCL1 first and then apply for an FAC? Obviously I do not have any land to shoot over, but was planning on doing the “stalk for pay” thing until I do – will this suffice as a “good reason” to have a deer caliber rifle? I have two members of my extended family that meet the criteria for FAC references so I should have that covered – on the reference portion of the license it says that references may not be in the referees “immediate” family, so would a 2nd cousin or a relative not related by blood count?. If anyone has any other comments or tips they are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

YT

I would ditch the family link altogether, too easy for plod to use it against your application, if that's the way your feo feels, have you any other experience from whence you came?, if so this would be of use, paid , or bought days are fine as a good reason but be prepared to actually pay for & show receipts.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

YukonT, I see you are in Ireland so I'm not sure what differences that may bring but I'll tell you at the very start what we end up telling everybody six months down the line....

.......Do all of your dealings with the FEO/Firearms admin dept by letter or email, do not get drawn into telephone conversations.

If people followed this simple advise I am sure that half the problems would disapear straight away. Most FEO's are complete wannabes and love the sound of their own voices, you will find that they are alot less likely to write their BS in an email when they know you will cc your reply the Chief Constable or some other real Policeman, than they are to spout it on the phone.

Sorry if my contempt for these clowns is showing too strongly but some of the stuff we hear is incredible.

JC

And unfortunately, usually INDELIBLE!, as once applied you are usually stuck with it!, good advice from JC, another really good leverage source is find the number, direct dial of course, for the chief constables admin officer.......... only use if you have true grit!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Established Poster
    Thanks for the heads up!

I will definitely be sticking to traceable/reproduceable forms of communication. It is a lot easier to deny something said than something written.

Unfortunately, while I have an abundance of experience with firearms (plinking, wing-shooting, stalking, etc), virtually everyone who could attest to this as a reference is back home in Canada and therefore are not UK residents as required to be a reference. Furthermore, the only people who have known me for the required 2 years and are UK residents and fit the profile (i.e. doctor, lawyer, etc.) they require, are my relatives. As you can see, the whole situation is a veritable maze of abitrary stipulations and red-tape.

You must have some record of your activities in Canada,?....... all such are usable in your application.

Established Poster
    Finn, unfortunately I have no paper trail to speak of in Canada, although I do have a firearms/game hunting proficiency certificate from a course I took here in Ireland (that I have a hard copy of). The majority of the shooting I did back home was 'on the back forty', so to speak, using the family's collective armory. Although I own several firearms they aren't registered to me, as I had to leave them behind when I came over here - so no joy there. I have a number of people back home that could attest to my firearms knowledge/experience, i.e. lawyers and the like, would it be worthwhile to get references from them in addition to the ones on the FAC application?

Going back to my original query, it seems that collecting bits of paper attesting to your ability not to be a liability is the best course of action towards acquiring a firearm. Is this about right?

If you can get written evidence from as you say a Lawyer back home, I would do so, all helps, as the qualification, & pro standing of the writer / referee would be noted.

The Police want to assess whether or not you are safe and reliable with firearms. When they interview you they will ask questions about previous experience. Any documented evidence will only help to reinforce this. DSC 1 is a good course and will give the police a view that you have covered the basics of legal requirements / safety etc. But anything similar will also help.

I would some days stalking and use the estate rifle and you can thus demonstrate some experience of UK stalking etc.

YukonT
    Which part of Ireland are you in, north or south?