Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to choose ?

what to choose ?

I am planning to buy new rifle .243 I would like to buy a Tikka, Sako or Winchester.
    Which one would you prefer and why ?

Sako!!
    why?
    Cos it's the best!
    MS

Sako.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sako without a doubt. I wouldn't rush into a new one though especially with the vat about to go up. There are some great second hand deals about. Don't buy into the 'shot out, needs re-barreling' school of thinking especially with a .243 My Sako 85 estate rifle has fired around 1500 rnds in two and a half years, has been totally abused and still groups as well as the day I got it. I would be happy to buy it myself. JC

I would choose a Sako if the price was not an issue. The Functionality of the magazine is fantastic. Buy a wooden stock variety though, preferably laminated. The most rigid platform offered!

I have to say all three are not bad choices although the Tikka plastic mags and floorplate let them down. But hey you get what you pay for. Winchester, well you can get the Jewell trigger for it so that’s a bonus.

My best advice is stay away from the factory synthetic stocks. As a whole most accuracy issues I see from factory guns are stock related.

Why do you not have the faithful Remington 700 up there in your choices. Probably the most versatile of all the factory rifles available and once its shot out there are endless after market parts for them.

Dennis
    Dennis Groom, make every shot a good one

Quote Originally Posted by dennisgrm View Post
    I would choose a Sako if the price was not an issue. The Functionality of the magazine is fantastic. Buy a wooden stock variety though, preferably laminated. The most rigid platform offered!

I have to say all three are not bad choices although the Tikka plastic mags and floorplate let them down. But hey you get what you pay for. Winchester, well you can get the Jewell trigger for it so that’s a bonus.

My best advice is stay away from the factory synthetic stocks. As a whole most accuracy issues I see from factory guns are stock related.

Why do you not have the faithful Remington 700 up there in your choices. Probably the most versatile of all the factory rifles available and once its shot out there are endless after market parts for them.

Dennis

Ahh, Remington! The gunsmiths friend!!!

Dirk, if you can, buy a Sako (I have one), outstanding out of the box accuracy, as does the Tikka but it is not as nicely finished. Both have adjustable triggers that you can do yourself. I too would vote for a laminate stocked version.

The new Winchester's have gone back to the pre-64 design, according to their literature, which is a good thing. However I have not handled a new one so I do not know what the trigger is like. Personally they would not get my money.

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 23-11-2010 at 17:23.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Have you looked at the latest offering from browning? They seem to be quite well put together and a contender for the T3.

Wills

Quote Originally Posted by dennisgrm View Post

Dennis
    I am fascinated that Remingtons get such a raw deal on this site and are not more popular. Another post a few days ago asked about recommending gunsmiths/custom rifle makers. Callum Ferguson received high praise, Dennis Groom was also mentioned.

So to clarify, on one hand they are the guru's yet on the other when they support the use of Remington's they don't know what they are talking about.

One of the names on the list on this other post once referred to using Sauer's for propping up windows in his workshop. I wonder why but no doubt he was wrong...

sorry to be on the same boat as the rest but i would also be looking at a sako purely for the build quality and the acuracy. i bought a second hand 75 which had only had a couple of hundred rounds through it so keep your eye out for the bargins

Out of the three, I would plump for the Sako.

Have a look around for a Heym SR20 or 21 in good nick as well, a bit thin on the ground but in the same sort of class as Sauer.

Most importantly post pictures of whatever you buy!