Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing Roe triplets

Managing Roe triplets

I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on what is the right thing to do if triplets are on your ground. Should we, as deer managers, cull out the triplets and doe to reduce the possible recurrence? Or should we, as deer stalkers, leave them in the hope of encouraging more triplets where deer numbers are not excessive?
    Pete.

it depends on if they are surviving?

by that I mean can the doe raise triplets?

Does are only likely to produce triplets if their body is above a certain threshold weight which is capable of supporting that may offspring. It is therefore a sign of a very healthy animal. They have four teats as well so no problems there either.

If a buck was that special, you wouldn't cull it would you?

Then why would you wish to cull such a fine Doe?

Unless of course you have no interest in promoting a healthy stock and just wish to keep numbers to an absolute minimum?

It always amazes me how people always seem to leave the fine bucks to pass their genes on, but pay little or no regard to the better Does!?
    They are the secret to a healthier stock!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    it depends on if they are surviving?

by that I mean can the doe raise triplets?
    The only triplets I've seen appeared to be in good shape, as did the doe. At the time that I saw them (many years ago) I didn't have permission to stalk on this ground, so never got a closer look.

I shot two kids off a doe two weeks past leaveing her with one doe kid she is a super animal and the kids were in reasnable condition. I took out a small doe kid and a large buck kid leaving the one in the picture below. Monkey Spanker is quite correct i feel with the body weight as i have took does out of this small wood in the 45lb weight class but i think it might be beter to make sure she is left and her best off spring while still keeping on top of the deer numbers.

Sorry for repeat picture but i felt it relivant

Still good but not of the quality of the one i left.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 23-11-2010 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Does are only likely to produce triplets if their body is above a certain threshold weight which is capable of supporting that may offspring. It is therefore a sign of a very healthy animal. They have four teats as well so no problems there either.

If a buck was that special, you wouldn't cull it would you?

Then why would you wish to cull such a fine Doe?

Unless of course you have no interest in promoting a healthy stock and just wish to keep numbers to an absolute minimum?

It always amazes me how people always seem to leave the fine bucks to pass their genes on, but pay little or no regard to the better Does!?
    They are the secret to a healthier stock!
    MS
    Spot on

Max

we used to have some ground local to me that produced triplets every year and there was always more than one doe with them but they were never very good kids and we would generally shoot either doe and followers or a couple of followers and leave the doe with one which then generally went on to be good animals ps some of the kids would weigh as little as 14 pound at this time of year which would suggest that triplets were not produced due to good food source maybe more to do with genetics of the roe in this area i posted this in the other triplets post but thought it was relavant to this thread aswell

Swatty i thinck you missedf the point that Spanker made he said that the Doe would reach the body weight needed to produce tripplets but that did not mean the tripplets them selves would be heavy at this time of year infact to share a bounty of milk is not always the best way to a good sized kid to keep it all to your self is this is why i removed the two spare ones.

the thing is that the roe around me generally dont get to big body weights at all mostly around 25 pound mark and a good bewast would make 30 tops i gernerally shot two out of the three followers and tried to pick the poorest out of them the ground that produced triplets was only a small area of around 60 acre and i had permissions within a two mile radius which never seemed to produce triplets which is why i thought it may be genetic rather than due to food availability even though most txt or information available would suggest that deer repoduction is in direct coalition with available food source

If healthy, I'd leave them be, but I'm trying to encourage a growing population as well. Perhaps the best thing to do is observe whether there is a weak one, and perhaps cull that. However, you should be able to observe over the next month or so how the kids develop in comparison to each other, and make an educated decision from that.

I think, if I'm encouraging a growing population and triplets are present, but healthy, I would leave them be, esp. if there's both a doe and a buck!