Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ? Is it? I dunno ?????

Is it ? Is it? I dunno ?????

I walked my pooch down the local park tonight (under a perfect pigging moon) and saw a ROE DEER, I live in the middle of Cardiff ! WAIT. Before I get half the FAC holders within twenty miles calling me let me clarify, it's sort of true.

What I actually saw was a cunningly angled fallen branch that was so perfectly shaped I froze, waiting for the ears to twitch. They never did !!!!!

So I got to thinking, and after much face pulling and deep sub-sonic grunting noises wondered how many of you have painfully stalked inanimate objects to a shootable distance then only to look around red faced (as I did) to see if anyone was pi55ing themselves watching you ? Luckily for me nobody was, the log looked quite smug when I got there though

Embarrassed and Now Drunk

Ade
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

A common thing, waiting for full light or watching the light fail, just for those few moments things inanimate seem to move or as in your case have perfect form matching your quarry.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Its called Pareidolia

Pareidolia is due to the brains pre programming to look for the familiar in the unfamiliar or random visual or audio stimulus it receives.

I would put my hand up. 2 mile stalk on a clump of dead bracken with a birch branch. For the life of me it was a stag, even had the movement. Felt a right pratt when I came over the ridge ready to shoot. From the other side of the bay it still looks like a stag lying up.

Not by this artist by any chance

Attachment 3588

I wonder if you stuck these guys out in a field, if they would get a number of holes in them

It can get a lot worse. Years ago I was training in Germany and had been awake for 3-days in the field, during a night patrol exercise I stopped to buy an ice cream from a nice gentleman in a white coat at his ice cream van in the middle of a forest near Senelager. To me it was as real as anything, I was stood down for 12 hours and slept for 24 shortly afterwards. Utterly bizarre, I was so convinced this was really happening but when you look at it couldn't possibly have been true - ice cream at 3 in the morning with an ice cream van in the middle of a forest??
    PS also fired three shots with a .22 at a 'mud rabbit' at 70yds and was perplexed why it didn't bowl over, again low light but safe backstop!
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

i mudt admit i have shot at tufts of grass , logs etc that have looked to me to be rabbits, (safe backstop of course)

not uncommon especially in low light

skipp

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    It can get a lot worse. Years ago I was training in Germany and had been awake for 3-days in the field, during a night patrol exercise I stopped to buy an ice cream from a nice gentleman in a white coat at his ice cream van in the middle of a forest near Senelager. To me it was as real as anything, I was stood down for 12 hours and slept for 24 shortly afterwards. Utterly bizarre, I was so convinced this was really happening but when you look at it couldn't possibly have been true - ice cream at 3 in the morning with an ice cream van in the middle of a forest??
    PS also fired three shots with a .22 at a 'mud rabbit' at 70yds and was perplexed why it didn't bowl over, again low light but safe backstop!
    Hope you weren't training to be a sniper ha ha ha

With some irony, it was my recce command!
    I have trained and qualified as a sniper, now I would say sharpshooter - it's not quite the same even though the effects are similar!
    My teams acheived a high commercial poster kill ratio of would be assailants in dusty urban environments - the sneaky 2 dimensional heathens!
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I wonder if you stuck these guys out in a field, if they would get a number of holes in them
    In Italy you don't even have to closely resemble a game animal to end up riddled with bullets. Only a short while ago a priest out camping under the stars in a sleeping bag was shot and killed as some hunter thought he resembled a boar whilst laid out behind a bush.