Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav question?

Sat Nav question?

As a regular on the Suffolk RTA callout list, I am often tasked to find injured deer in the most obscure places!
    I've just quized my local Police control centre as to what information they can provide, other than a basic description which is what I have used up til now in conjunction with a 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map. Sadly, they cannot even give an OS grid!
    What they can give me though is either the nearest postcode, or the Lat/Long (Eastings/Northings).
    My question is, is there a basic Sat Nav which will allow me to enter either or preferably 'both' of the above?
    I've so far found a Garmin nuvi 200 which appears to allow Lat/long but I'm not sure about the post code bit. Anyone got one that can confirm?
    Before anyone tells me to get an iphone - I can't as I'm tied into a phone contract for about another 18 months!
    Any suggestions welcomed.
    MS

I've got a Garmin Nuvii and it does both Lat/Long and post codes

Excellent! Which model would you recommend please? The basic 205 model is about 60 (re-furbished).

Tomtom

Mine takes post code and /or longitude/latitude values.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Right, it appears my first post was slightly misleading!
    I've just spoken to my local police Air Support unit who have a better understanding of grids/maps than 'Doris' in the control room!
    What they are actually offering is a OSGB grid and NOT a Lat/Long. This is 10 figures which is actually two sets of 5 figures. The first figure of each set is the block prefix (which is shown as a pair of letters on a OS map). So, once you know which 100km block you are in, you are left with a 8 figure OS grid.
    So........
    What I actually need is a Sat Nav capable of accepting a Post Code or an OS grid!
    MS

All satnavs take a post code as far as I know. The only thing you have to be aware of is that rural post codes can cover a decent area whereas a grid reference is much more precise. I'll check my Garmin later and see if it takes a OS Grid Reference.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    All satnavs take a post code as far as I know. The only thing you have to be aware of is that rural post codes can cover a decent area whereas a grid reference is much more precise. I'll check my Garmin later and see if it takes a OS Grid Reference.
    my nissan navara one doesnt

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    TTBFMK OS grid ref numbers are lat/long numbers.

My Garmin Nuvii does both post code and grid ref.

You could just purchase a Satmap!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If you go to the Multimap web site (now owned by Bing) and enter the postcode, you will be placed on the map, then select the ordnance survey map option, you should be able to print it out and mark the grid reference from that. Furthermore, for some areas you get the really large scale map which is really very detailed.