Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal Of Deer Rectum

Removal Of Deer Rectum

I know some of you will use this method but I thought I would mention it for the benefit of those that don't.

I had a friend from Kingussie out for Sika stags a few years ago who'd gillie'd on the hill when on holiday from university, and on seeing me remove the rectum in one piece whilst still attached to the peezel he said he had never seen that done on a stag before. In my experience it is easier on stags than Roe Bucks.

With the deer lying on it's back start by gripping the peezel and lifting so that you can start cutting below it and in turn the testicles, back towards the haunches. Once the skin has been cut and lifted you will see the peezel running all the way back towards the pelvic area. Once you have pared it back by cutting along both sides towards the anus, leave it alone and continue with the gralloch as normal. Once the intestine is cut off and tied internally and the stomach etc removed, return to the peezel and continue cutting very carefully whilst gently pulling the peezel back between the haunches and down towards the anus. I should have mentioned that a very sharp and narrow bladed knife is a must. You will see all the small tissue membranes that hold the peezel in place below the skin begin to part as you continue cutting towards the anus. It is difficult to describe without photos and next year during the season if anyone is interested I will post some on here. Once the anus has been reached continue separating the tissue from around this area. With gentle pulling straight away from the rear end of the beast, the rectum and what is left of the knotted off intestine will begin to pull through the pelvis, with hopefully the bladder un-burst following as well.

Once practised although a wee bit time-consuming, IMO there is no neater way to excavate this area of the beast although I admit if in a rush with several dear to dress I often don't bother. You will no doubt tear through a few before getting it right as I did when shown this method but if this happens resort to removal as normal. When seen performed for the first time by someone who is well versed in this method it looks very professional.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else does this or has seen it performed before.

Account Suspended
    You could always just use a Butt-Out tool.

I find the as brought ones fine for fallow , sika, and red. I have trimmed one down slightly with a dremmel for use on roe, cwd and munc's.

I know they are available. Never seen one used. Given their design though, is there a possibility that the sharp ends could puncture the rectum/intestine and also then transfer crap to the inside of the pelvis/haunch area?

This method is just a neat alternative.

Account Suspended
    I given the thickness and elasticity of a normal intestine. I doubt that you would puncture the wall using a Butt Out.

They are about as fool proof as you can get.

Thats why I've been using one for years.

I thought 'd best get that one in before anyone else

I would meet you half way on this JR I believe we should try not to expose to much of the carcase before we reach the larder.
    When we ring the anus cut the root of the pizzel which in turn loosens the bladder, this can then be pulled inward through the pelvis as the intestines are removed giving no need for knotting and cutting,,,,,

Nell

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    I would meet you half way on this JR I believe we should try not to expose to much of the carcase before we reach the larder.
    When we ring the anus cut the root of the pizzel which in turn loosens the bladder, this can then be pulled inward through the pelvis as the intestines are removed giving no need for knotting and cutting,,,,,

Nell
    Must agree Nell this is the method I use and allows a clean gralloch with everything removed in one from anus to head which I remove at the same time so no risk of contamination.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by pierred View Post
    Must agree Nell this is the method I use and allows a clean gralloch with everything removed in one from anus to head which I remove at the same time so no risk of contamination.
    Me too if I don't have a dirty drag.
    S.

if you follow levels 1+2 and best practice to letter every time its the only way to do it (we all do follow it properly i hope!!)

I do it as Jamross has described and as i dont sell any deer i split the chest with a knife then cut around the diaphragm pull everything out and then pull on the wind and food pipe as i slice up the neck towards the jaw and then remove the whole lot tongue and all, how hygienic is that i bet they don't teach that one on the DSC course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I do it as Jamross has described and as i dont sell any deer i split the chest with a knife then cut around the diaphragm pull everything out and then pull on the wind and food pipe as i slice up the neck towards the jaw and then remove the whole lot tongue and all, how hygienic is that i bet they don't teach that one on the DSC course.

You described the rest of my gralloch except for the tongue bit. Tied off at throat and the lot attached to esophagus and trachea out in one. I should have stated that sometimes I do leave the peezel bit until back at the larder.