Thread: Remington Ammunition and date codes

Remington Ammunition and date codes

Hmmm after my second, more strongly worded, E-Mail to Remington about this box of .280 Premium Boat Tail 140 Gr ammunition Edgar Bros sent through to the gunshop it seems my fears were correct. This "new" box of 20 rounds is over 12 years old and was made:-

the production date on your ammunition is 3/04/98
    So it has to go back and be exchanged for so new ammunition. So far Edgar Bros have evaded the question as to how a box over 12 years old was sent out for a customer as New nor how they came to a price for it as after all it's not listed in the price lists .

Remingtons web site says any ammunition over 10 years old should be destroyed. Now bearing in mind that this ammunition would have be fired in an Ackley Improved chamber one wonders how the cases would have faired in coping with the brass movement required?

My assumption about the clock face on the end flap dating the production seems to have been correct.

Established Poster
    Old ammunition can be a problem, we did have a large supply of Lapua .308 Win 185grain D46 ammo that our Army acquired for sniper use after they discovered that it was no good for real long-range shooting they stored for a few years then sold it off to the public perfectly good accurate ammo now it is getting
    on in years the cases are failing with split necks.

Robert the problem I have with this is twofold:-

1) They sold it as new and somehow managed to find a new price for it at over 40 per box that's over 2 per bang.

2) As I needed this to test the function of the new .280 Ackley Improved chambering the cases are going to formed to the new larger/longer chamber hence a fair bit of brass flow is required. The proof house needs three formed cases for proofing. Now as your well aware older brass often splits.

Edgar Bros the importers have to far failed to explain how come ammunition over 12 years old is being sold as new and bearing in mind it would be used for stalking perhaps it would be OK but then again it might not. Having ones wallet lightened no small amount for something which is mis represented is not nice and of dubious business practice to my mind at least.

I found it iinteresting that when I pointed out that this ammunition was made in 1998 he asked did I know that. They really do think we are daft you know. So I told him that I had been in touch with Remington them selves about it and the attitude changed somewhat then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Robert the problem I have with this is twofold:-

1) They sold it as new and somehow managed to find a new price for it at over 40 per box that's over 2 per bang.

2) As I needed this to test the function of the new .280 Ackley Improved chambering the cases are going to formed to the new larger/longer chamber hence a fair bit of brass flow is required. The proof house needs three formed cases for proofing. Now as your well aware older brass often splits.

Edgar Bros the importers have to far failed to explain how come ammunition over 12 years old is being sold as new and bearing in mind it would be used for stalking perhaps it would be OK but then again it might not. Having ones wallet lightened no small amount for something which is mis represented is not nice and of dubious business practice to my mind at least.

I found it iinteresting that when I pointed out that this ammunition was made in 1998 he asked did I know that. They really do think we are daft you know. So I told him that I had been in touch with Remington them selves about it and the attitude changed somewhat then.
    Caught them with their pants down, didn't you?? I recently had a fellow give me a totally fictional report on the ballistic qualities (or lack of, by his description) of the new generation 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum. He had the velocities wrong, the case dimensions wrong, the history of the cartridge wrong... all he got right was the name of the cartridge. This was at a gun show and he had a little audience listening and when he stopped to take a breath, I said that all his spout was so much bull-pucky. He bristled and leaned forward saying "How would YOU know??!??"

I told him that I did a goodly share of the R&D lab work, load development, and all of the field testing for the cartridge. The silence was deafening and the look on his face, priceless. Sometimes it's good to hold the high ground, eh?~Muir

Well I took the box back to the gunshop today as instructed to do and told Colin what the chap at Edgar Bros had told me to tell him. So he duely phoned and guess what no one knew anything about it so we ended up with the boss man Derek on the phone who asked to speak to me. Once I explained the problem he said it was not up to Remington and they did not swop old amunition so I gently pointed out that I only brought the ammunition on the 17th November and it was only delivered to the shop on the 16th November. He changed his tune then and asked for the code on the box and when he looked it up it seems they have had it on the shelf since 2000.

He is sending out a box of 165 Gr Core Lockt which of course is a cheaper type so I will be making sure I get the difference refunded.

Derek also wants copies of my e-mails to Remington so I have printed them off and he won't like my views on his profiteering that's for sure .

Meanwhile this evening I will write a nice letter of compalaint addresses to Derek and also detailing the costs that I have incurred due to this. I shall print three copies one for derek on for my file and one which i shall send to Remington.

Good for you. Stick it to them... not for the old ammo, but for their attitude.~Muir

Muir I will do as it's a matter of principle. Now yes I only brought one box to try but now what would happen if my rifle really likes it and gives extreme accuracy and precision with it they would then have to say when some more was ordered that they cannot supply as it's been discontinued and not been made for several years. So not only would I have wasted my time and money but would be back at square one with having to trry a different ammunition. I cannot see anyone being very happy with that situation!