Thread: Under 6 seconds

Account Suspended

Under 6 seconds

Holy crap

Varmint Al the famed wizard engineer and internet forum owner
    http://varmintal.com/aspon.htm

Has worked out that your average target barrel has a life expectancy of less than 6 seconds.

Working on an average of 3000fps and a 24" barrel that gives you approx 3000 rounds down range.

243's and 6.5X284's can and do shoot out barrels around the 1500 mark which would give your barrel a life expectancy of less than 3 seconds.

Just about the same amount of time it takes to get a lass from leeds draws off on a Saturday night.

You've never seen that number play before? It didn't originate with Varmint Al. It predates him by half a Century. It's nice he's taking credit for it though...~Muir

Account Suspended
    Nope! never seen a number quoted for barrel life represented as a time duration before. But then I haven't made a point of going looking for it either.

You say it predates Al's article by 50 years. Astonishing! So who did the original maths?

Dunno. I have run into it several times over the last 40 years. I seem to remember Dr. Mann quipping something about this in his book "The Bullet's Flight", but I may be mistaken. It's been a while since I read it.~Muir

Hmm well barrel and throat wear are determined by the heat and so rate of fire so my own opinion is that the chappie is blowing in the wind . The design of the rifling will also play a part in resisting wear as well as the material the barrel is made from. So it sound to me like he has plucked a figure out of thin air and ran with it. Repeat it enough on the Web and some will start to believe it as solid fact.

Out of interest how much longer should stainless last? I only ask because I have a 22.250 with SS barrel.

Yes. That's the one. I have the book tho I haven't read it in 15-20 years. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Out of interest how much longer should stainless last? I only ask because I have a 22.250 with SS barrel.
    I'm not sure it will last longer. How hot you load it will determine how long your barrel lasts. A fellow named Naramore wrote a lengthy tome on all aspects of cartridge reloading, about barrel erosion/wear he wrote that keeping the pressures down will increase barrel life but that erosion and wear is inevitable.

He finished the chapter on pressure and erosion with this: "...the thing for the reloader to do about erosion is to forget about it-which is precisely what I am going to do. To those who are overly concerned about the precious shine of their rifle bores, I would suggest that they relax and put their rifles away in a closet; they will never be eroded there." ~Muir