Thread: I hate plastic so can I change to wood

I hate plastic so can I change to wood

My prohunter2 in 243 is standard stock. I came across this site. even with the carriage the Overstock on caro walnut looks a bargain. How difficult is the change over,
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Cheers,
    Jim

Hi Jim..only know one guy who got one of those stocks he found the barrell relief very tight and inlets tight. Ive looked into them myself and from my research that seems to be the norm. You may find you have to do a fair bit of work to get your actio to fit? ...but if you dont mind the work then the seem a good buy.

Jim. The 243 in my gallery is a Richards microfit stock. Not cheap. Pm me a number if you want some details. Rgds jcs

I'm not sure, but doesn't the Prohunter have a plastic trigger gaurd that is
    part of the plastic stock?
    You would need a bottom metal in that case, or?

edi

Have inlet a couple of wooden stocks, indeed have built one from a piece of cherry wood from a tree that I felled. It's not that difficult but you need some sharp gouges / chisels and lamp black and time. Smoke the bottom of the action / barrel, press it in - it will show the high spots, parr these away and repeat till you have a perfect fit. Alternatively you can glass bed it it in - take out extra wood and then use an epoxy bedding compound to seat the barreled action.

Just remembered if you go to the accurate reloading site, gunsmithing section there is a show and tell about making a wooden stock.

Stockmaker show and tell - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    My prohunter2 in 243 is standard stock. I came across this site. even with the carriage the Overstock on caro walnut looks a bargain. How difficult is the change over,
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Cheers,
    Jim
    I think you'd find the change over very difficult indeed. According to the list of actions on the Web site, they do not make a stock for your rifle.
    KevinF -

...and further to my last, if the real reason you want to change the stock is because your SM will not hold zero when shot off of a bipod, then you are in good company; it is an issue that has arisen before here on SD.

For what it may be worth, Dennis Groom of Evolution Firearms has recently stiffened the forend of a .243 Prohunter that belongs to a pal of mine. The fix was at modest cost, and has worked: the rifle now shoots straight, even from a bipod.
    KevinF -

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Just remembered if you go to the accurate reloading site, gunsmithing section there is a show and tell about making a wooden stock.

Stockmaker show and tell - Topic Powered by Social Strata
    Thanks Heym that is an excellent read.