Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web based retailers

Account Suspended

Web based retailers

With the every increasing number of businesses using the www. to sell their wares and services I have slowly begun to join the 21st century and look to make some purchases via the internet.

However I flatly refuse to consider dealing with a company that fails to include its legitimate trading address on its web site. Irrespective of how tempting the products or services offered but be.

Whilst only having an email address and land line number as a means of contact for you the customer might be ok as long as everything goes well, the good turn up as they should and, and continue to perform as required whilst under guarantee.

But we live in an imperfect world. Problems and difficulties do arise. With only a web address and as often happens only a mobile number as a means of contact what do you do if the wheel falls of the wagon and you have a problem that needs to be resolved by the retailer. Retailers are not always very accommodating in accepting responsibility for missing goods, faulty goods or poor service performance especially once they have had your money for a while.

At least with a confirmed physical trading address you have a means of direct recourse should the need arise.

I'm not saying that all businesses that fail to include a trading address on their web sites contact details or sales information are dodgy, but it certainly raises questions regarding their validity, trading history's, professionalism. and which dummy advised them on their marketing strategy.

It is those very questions that turn me from an interested potential customer to a disinterested one.

What has been your experiences, does the above bother you, or have you never considered the matter before. Discuss...

Using Paypal is usually a fairly reasonable protection for your payment.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I Have to agree...but do you ever check a address or telephone number is valid before placing an order?? if not then just having them there means nothing!

The problem lies if some thing gose wrong weeks after the sale, recomendations always work for me and thats why the Forums are good .

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus21 View Post
    I Have to agree...but do you ever check a address or telephone number is valid before placing an order?? if not then just having them there means nothing!
    Yes I do check that the trading address is valid before placing an order. If the order is sufficiently large I also do a credit check on the company.

Perhaps I am just overly cautious. But I don't think so.

Doc H

I have been shopping on-line with Cabelas since '99 with no issues. However tried to book a B&B in Lochgilphead recently and the owner wouldn't pick up the phone to confirm the booking and take the credit card details, so I went elsewhere (Royal Hotel in Ardrishaig). Had one run in with an eBay trader who couldn't work out how to deliver a 4 port router. A real pain to sort out. eBay weren't interested as the guy had a large turnover. It's just like any kind of business, some you win, some you lose. The following guy has an interesting approach to non-payers.

http://www.eurooptic.com/customer/wos.asp

Rgds JCS

Account Suspended
    At least with a confirmed and valid trading address you have some where to serve the legal papers. Or send the collection agency otherwise known as "the management" to help resolve any disagreements, settle outstanding disputes, return faulty goods and collect repayments or replacements.

If the value of the claim is 5k or less the Small Claims court is an easy and accessible option and cost free to the sucessfull claimant.
    But a might real pain in the proverbial butt for the business, its owner, partners, or directors. Especially if they fail to accede to the order of the court. Then the court can appoint their own bailiffs, and oh what fun and joy along with spiralling costs they bring to the party.

Well, I was considering buying an item from THIS site and there is no where that I can find a postal address or name in the shop pages !! So I dropped the idea.

The other thing to consider is, why so many etailers offering a cheap price? They don't hold stock. They are happy to skim 3 - 5% commission for placing your order with a wholesaler. Direct drop.

Nothing wrong with it in principle, so long as delivery commitments are made, all the big boys do it.

Stan

"Yes I do check that the trading address is valid before placing an order"

i am not trying to be funny, but how do you check? do you pop round and physically see with your own eyes that the place exists? or is it a web based search?

skipp??