Thread: Newbie Q: Syndicates?

Established Poster

Question Newbie Q: Syndicates?

This may seem like an elementary/obvious question for most (so I appreciate your patience), but it's something I'd never heard of before coming to this site and am frankly quite puzzled by, as I'm from the other side of the Atlantic. What exactly is a syndicate? I understand that it's a group of stalkers, but beyond that I am fairly clueless, i.e. how does one join a syndicate? what is the function of a syndicate? etc. Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Cheers,

YT

YT

You get invited to join. The underlying reason is that stalking rights can be let, so individuals and groups get together to hold lease for a period (until someone with deeper pockets comes along and gazumps you).

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 26-11-2010 at 14:13.

Yukon,

Not sure how fresh from the other side of the pond you are so apologies if the following is too basic.

The right to shoot deer (and all other game for that matter) over land in the UK is almost always owned by an individual or organisation. Those sporting rights can be bought and sold.

Sporting rights go with the land rather than with the animal, as I believe is the case in parts of the US. Unlike in the States there is no system here in the UK where someone who wishes to shoot can buy a tag and then shoot the animal authorised by the tag in the designated area. We have to have the right to shoot over the land in the first place. Even land which is publicly owned (such as the Forestry Commission's landholdings) can only be shot over having aquired the rights to do so.

Syndicates operate in slightly different ways but all share the cost of buying the shooting rights. Some syndicates are non profit making and comprise of a group of mates who club together and buy or lease the rights to shoot. Others are commercial, where an individual or organisation buys or leases the rights and then subleases the right to stalk to others.

I'm not sure of how things work in Ireland but in the UK if you would like to join a syndicate probably the best way to go about it is to build up contacts with people and hopefully a place will eventually be offered to you. Syndicate spaces are sometimes advertised on here, but approach with caution because the received wisdom seems to be that places in good syndicates fill themselves without the need for much advertising.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Last edited by Dovebob; 26-11-2010 at 17:23. Reason: spelling

hi,

syndicates are what people whom have land leases use to extort money from others to fill their pockets with cash.

YT
    Most of the syndicates in southern Ireland shoot over Coillte forests. One of the conditions of these leases is that everybody involved is HCAP certified. This is a qualification run by the Deer Alliance. I shoot in a syndicate in Southern Ireland and have recently completed my HCAP, pm me if you want some more info!

S. L.

Established Poster

Thumbs up Thanks

Appreciate the helpful words. I am new to the concept of how shooting sports operate over here and am trying to absorb as much information as possible.

Shane, thank you for the info on southern Ireland syndicates; however, I likely be moving from Ireland to England in the next while - "bailing out", if you will

More or less, I am attempting to get everything in order re: DSC, FAC while I am in Ireland so I can move to England and be ready to go. I just ordered the DSCL1 manual and the From Field to Larder DVD from the BDS, so I will have all my ducks in a row, so to speak, when I move.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

syndicates are what people whom have land leases use to extort money from others to fill their pockets with cash.
    Sounds like you have had poor experiences.Or chosen unwisely.
    There are many good syndicates and leaseholders. We have to be careful who we invite into the quality ones though....
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    Sounds like you have had poor experiences.Or chosen unwisely.
    There are many good syndicates and leaseholders. We have to be careful who we invite into the quality ones though....
    S.
    Agreed, agreed, oh and agreed.
    Not been done was only jesting hence the but it does go on S

atb f,