Thread: Red Deer and Sheep

Red Deer and Sheep

Hi,I've been watching a field that I have permission on that has a following of reds feeding in it.
    The farmer has just put his sheep in same field,do you think the deer will still come in the field.
    Other land I shoot for Roe, dont like sheep at all !!

Quote Originally Posted by tia View Post
    Hi,I've been watching a field that I have permission on that has a following of reds feeding in it.
    The farmer has just put his sheep in same field,do you think the deer will still come in the field.
    Once the sheep dirty the field the Reds will be gone.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

We got a call to cull a red stag that was worrying sheep about 3 weeks ago, he stayed around for about 5 days but no safe shot

tia

sound question but you will not get a clear answer.
    i have heard that sheep urinate all over the grass thus the deer wont come in yet i have seen deer mix and eat with sheep, i posted pic on here somewhere.
    answer will be down to the deer and the day...
    just because the sheep are there will not mean you should stay at home.
    I would head out after rain because ground will have been washed.

good hunting. keep us up to date.
    if they do disappear ask the farmer how long the sheep will be there.
    gift him some venison and warn him if he dont move the woolly maggots he wont get any more..

atb f,

'Trouble is that deer and sheep tend to compete for the same types of shorter grass and lichen. If the sheep density is large - the ground gets dirtied all the quicker. The deer have the jump-choice because they can get over stock fences.
    I think that Reds will tolerate a low sheep stocking level - depending upon if they are extra-keen to get into that grass. The long term consensus appears to be that Roe will not tolerate sheep, but the world of nature presents a blank page always waiting to be re-written.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

It's not just deer that are not keen on sheep infested fields, rabbits too will move from a field if there are a lot of sheep there, likewise I have noticed my pheasants will tend to move from sheep too. I think they certainly foull the grass very quickly and few other animals care for that. Sheep themselves soon get fed up with an area if there are too many there.

Quote Originally Posted by tia View Post
    its only a field deer have a choise of more than one field, sheep dont and sheperds need to make a living .dont upset them its them that lets you to shoot there and thats something that should be rememberd
    Last edited by skywull; 15-10-2011 at 23:47.