Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .260rem what's it like

.260rem what's it like

I intend getting a dedicated stalking rifle after having lugged by Varmint barrelled .308 T3 + high mag scope and mod round the Scottish Hills for a week.

My thoughts are drifting toward something a little less common, namely the .260 rem (otherwise known as the 6.5-08), and I was wondering what peoples experiences of them were.

I gather the 6.5mm bullets have a high bc so are good at longer ranges but what are they like at sensible deer ranges?

Ideally I'd be using something in the 120gr-140gr range.

Milligan

I don't know if you have heard of him but Callum Ferguson from Precision Rifle Services built a rifle for a friend of mine, who asked his opinion on what calibre to go for. As an all round stalking calibre Callum recommended the .260rem

Have a look at his website and the choice of reamers he has for building rifles. He must hold the calibre in high regard.

Should have added that it accounted for a lot of Sika, some shot by me and I loved the rifle!

I have a .308 and a .260 rem . I have not used the .308 for stalking since i started using the .260 . I'm not saying the .260 is better than the 308 as a caliber as they both put deer on the deck,
    But i just like the .260 with 129 gr bullets mines a light short rifle and the .308 is a big heavy rifle to lug about.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Milligan

I don't know if you have heard of him but Callum Ferguson from Precision Rifle Services built a rifle for a friend of mine, who asked his opinion on what calibre to go for. As an all round stalking calibre Callum recommended the .260rem

Have a look at his website and the choice of reamers he has for building rifles. He must hold the calibre in high regard.

Should have added that it accounted for a lot of Sika, some shot by me and I loved the rifle!
    Good to know, I got interested when I saw a .260rem custom rifle at Anglo Custom. So far research is positive with Chuck Hawkes and lots of the US sites giving it praise.
    The decision will be to buy new or buy a donor rifle and get a new barrel cut for it. Don't think I can justify the cost of a full custom...

or you could go 6.5x55 for a little more capacity and class, or 6.5-06 for even more...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Milligan

My 3rd 260 Rem is in my gallery. As I have posted before I like the 260s a lot. One thing to keep in mind is the magazine length as per my earlier post.

Wyatt's Extended Magazine Box Remington 700 BDL Short Action

I have made a few posts re the 260 and loads I use.

Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Good to know, I got interested when I saw a .260rem custom rifle at Anglo Custom. So far research is positive with Chuck Hawkes and lots of the US sites giving it praise.
    The decision will be to buy new or buy a donor rifle and get a new barrel cut for it. Don't think I can justify the cost of a full custom...
    If you are thinking about the semi-custom route drop me a pm and I will give you contact details for a friend of mine who builds custom rifles. His work is exemplary. Far cheaper than some. He is on this site as Dennisgrm if you want to contact him yourself. he will at least give you an idea of prices but as you mention a donor Remington or Sako action regardless of the condition is the way to go.

Milligan

My 260 started out as an old 308 I picked up on Guntrader. PM me a number if you want some more background.

Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    or you could go 6.5x55 for a little more capacity and class, or 6.5-06 for even more...

Or a 7x08 or 9mm or .338 why not try a .50 !!

Why has a 6.5 x 55 got more class than a .260 ? please explain , Is it because it is older ?

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    Whay would you want to add an additional 4 grains of powder to a bigger case in order to get the same FPS ??. I have a swede and im running 50 grains of powder behind the 129gn bullet. A mate runs the 260 with the same bullet and he is loading 45.5gns of the same poweder. His fps is 100 more than mine.

Its a no brainer 6.5x55 long action big case 260rem short action short case and higher FPS