.260rem what's it like

Accoring to my information, Sweden adopted the model 1894 in november 1894 .

Two years after the 6.5x55 was developed for the Norwegian Krag in 1891.

Thanks guys; so this is what we call a tangent :lol:.

There are loads of calibres with more legacy than the .260 rem, but sometimes new ways of doing things are actually improvements!

For sheer selection I suspect a Rem action is the way to go, the next question will be about which barrel, but I'll save that can of worms for another occasion. ;)

I was a gunmaker with the much respected firm of Westley Richards & Co. Around the year of 2003, I was very much interested in the .260 Rem. So much so ( and being slightly built - and sick of being kicked around by a friends .270 Parker Hale ) I ordered a barrel from Shilen and chamber tools. I built my .260 Rem on an original Argentine Mauser '98 receiver, with Apel swing mounts, model 70 safety, and swept bolt handle. As i was intending it for "personal use" I fitted this rifle into a Butler Creek synthetic stock ( hisses from Classic English rifle afficionadoes ) - I was afterall intending to stalk - not gawp afterall !!! Anyway, this rifle shoots a dream. With no bedding ( straight from the box with minor fitting required to the stock ) this rifle shot a tight clover leaf group - 5 shots at 50yrds on the factory range. Recoil was impressively low - but then I have also fired the massive .500/700 WR and .577/700 WR !!! Anyway, this is my first post, and I would strongly recommend this calibre to you, it is an extremely versatile round - a light load suitable for small Muntjac, up to 180grn for a Red deer and you should not have any problems - shot placement is the key for any self respecting stalker ( and that comes from a gunmaker and stalker who has jawed one beast and taken an ear off another when told to head shoot by a stalker at 200yrds from a ticking over 4X4 truck window!! ). I seriously rate this round, so much so that I wish it replaces the standard .243 Win as recommended by F.E.O nationwide, as it affords the shooter much more versatility, without compromising f.p.'s and recoil. Above all, I have to say, a cracking "all round" rifle calibre.

....I seriously rate this round, so much so that I wish it replaces the standard .243 Win as recommended by F.E.O nationwide, as it affords the shooter much more versatility, without compromising f.p.'s and recoil. Above all, I have to say, a cracking "all round" rifle calibre.

Jim, could not agreee with you more. The 260 and the 7/08 are the two most useful rounds out there for British and Irish stalking.

Welcome to SD Gunnyjim
Two mates of mine shoot with the 260 one has had his a while and the other has had his about six weeks. Just came off the phone with one he has just been loading for it and prefers it to his all singing and dancing border barrals 270. They are telling me to get rid of the 6.5x55 i have and get one of these

A kiwi mate of mine shoots wild pigs with a .260rem . He's 12 years old. He loves it! With a moderator it is a lamb to shoot but enough poke to get through those piggy hides!

Hehee, one day all will be converted to 6mm! I have capacity to build one for you, but I reckon there are just as good "off the shelf" rifles. From my own experience, Mauser 98 actions are the best ( I don't want to get into point scoring banters here! ) - if you have a .30.06 action, then you can generally re-barrel into most deer calibres you wish, whenever you wish - with feedwork obviuosly required, but without any bolt face alteration. I have built rifles uopto .416 Rigby on these actions, and even heard of people using standard actions for .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs chamberings, obviously with appropriate magazine boxes.

and I would strongly recommend this calibre to you, it is an extremely versatile round - a light load suitable for small Muntjac, up to 180grn for a Red deer and you should not have any problems

I gather that this is a typo? if not can you please tell us more about the 180 gr .264"/6.5mm bullets?

Also what is so great about the 6mm? :confused: as I cannot see anything so magical in it.

Sorry, should have read 140grn. I think Remington still the make their Core Lokt bullet. Also Nosler make a 140grn bullet but I cannot remember whether it is partition or ballistic tip.

Sorry, should have read 140grn. I think Remington still the make their Core Lokt bullet. Also Nosler make a 140grn bullet but I cannot remember whether it is partition or ballistic tip.

Remington may make it but whether you can get any out of Edgar Bros and at what rip off price is another matter entirely. It seems EB's standard mark up is about 300% as a minimum and goes up from there to whatever they can gouge you for :mad:..

As a qualifying comment, I would suggest that no one consider a 260rem unless they will reload for it. Factory ammo is non existent for it in the UK.

Border gun room in st boswells nr jedbrugh had some a mate of mine bought some a month ago

So I've committed to a .260 rem.

I had a quiet word with a gunsmith I know about my cunning plan to find a donor rifle and rebarrel and he "just happened" to have a mint Sako 75 III action, a 1:8 twist med sporter profile border barrel and a mcmillan stock. Oh, and a nice titanium mod...:oops:

When such opportunities arise, one must sieze them... or that's what I told the other half anyway.

For the record I do reload, wouldn't consider this as a viable calibre if I didn't.

As a qualifying comment, I would suggest that no one consider a 260rem unless they will reload for it. Factory ammo is non existent for it in the UK.

For anyone interested, I have 2 boxes of 120gr Remington Accutip gathering dust in my gun cabinet. I am Edinburgh based and these rounds are available for a face-to-face transaction. PM me if interested. I used factory ammo for the first 8 years of shooting the 260 Rem. Rgds JCS

Back