Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Gloves

Hello all,

I usually end up with some fingerless thinsulate efforts from the local garage when the cold really comes in and I'm putting a tank full in the vehicle.

I'm contemplating getting some 'proper' shooting gloves this winter. The one's I've been looking at are the Sealskinz - shooting glove. They look like a decent pair that would keep my hands warm, dry, and unrestricted enough to use them for stalking without too much effort fiddleing around with bolts,bullets/ magazines, safetys, and the trigger.

Who can reccommend these gloves or others? As always, I appreciate any replies, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks

DC

I recently got a pair of these and they do exactly what it says on the tin, although they don't have the cut out trigger finger they are thin enough to feel exactly what you are doing but thick enough to keep you warm. I find them very good,
    note they are quite a generous size fitting. And available in olive green... bonus

Waterproof Gloves Ultra Grip Sealskinz Thermal on eBay (end time 23-Dec-10 15:57:51 GMT)
    bairn79

I use the Barbour neoprene shooting gloves - although your hands have to be warm before they go into the glove for them to work properly. If you put them on after your hands have already got cold it's too late and unlike wool/fleece etc it's very hard to get neoprene warm from a cold start. Otherwise a good glove suitable to dry or wet conditions.

Barbour Neoprene Gloves Page 1

I bought my seal skinz shooting gloves halfway through last shooting season and can only say they have been brilliant.

My only gripe could be that last year when it got down to minus 17 degrees celcius they were not warm enough, but for 99% of my shooting they are without peer. I just need some lined ones for when it's really cold!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thanks guys.

-17C is pretty cold. I might not have to plan for too many outings in those sort of temperatures! Not living here in sunny, tropical Yorkshire!

It looks like sealskinz of some desctription are top of the list for me. Thanks for the note on the noprene warming issues. I was not aware of that.

DC

ive got sealskinz and they are waterproof even when crawling on open hill ground.The latest ones have got a removable trigger finger as well

I've had a pair of sealskinz for a couple of years now, I've been very impressed with them. They have always been 100% waterproof and keep my hands warm, if it's very cold I use liners with them. They'll never be as warm as a pair of mittens, but they do a good job and allow freedom of movement.

I got sealskin hunter gloves and I binned them after a few months. Not even water resistant let alone waterproof. The liners pull out when damp (ie every time you wear them!) and are a bugger to get back in.....hopeless. Good in the dry though!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Hello all,

I usually end up with some fingerless thinsulate efforts from the local garage when the cold really comes in and I'm putting a tank full in the vehicle.

I'm contemplating getting some 'proper' shooting gloves this winter. The one's I've been looking at are the Sealskinz - shooting glove. They look like a decent pair that would keep my hands warm, dry, and unrestricted enough to use them for stalking without too much effort fiddleing around with bolts,bullets/ magazines, safetys, and the trigger.

Who can reccommend these gloves or others? As always, I appreciate any replies, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks

DC
    I don't know if these are the "best" or not, but I wore a pair to go Boar shooting last season, in minus god knows what, standing stalk still in the Baltic woods for hours on end and my hands did not get seriously cold. I suffer from Raynauds syndrome so I guess that means they're pretty decent gloves.

I wear Barbour's knitted wool fingerless gloves.

I find that wool seems to keep you quite warm even when wet, unlike silk-lined leather pheasant-shooting gloves.

Is 'neoprene' not the stuff moderator-covers are made of? Not sure I'd like to wear it.
    Last edited by Dalua; 28-11-2010 at 21:04.