Gloves

DC .270

Hello all,

I usually end up with some fingerless thinsulate efforts from the local garage when the cold really comes in and I'm putting a tank full in the vehicle.

I'm contemplating getting some 'proper' shooting gloves this winter. The one's I've been looking at are the Sealskinz - shooting glove. They look like a decent pair that would keep my hands warm, dry, and unrestricted enough to use them for stalking without too much effort fiddleing around with bolts,bullets/ magazines, safetys, and the trigger.

Who can reccommend these gloves or others? As always, I appreciate any replies, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks

DC

I use the Barbour neoprene shooting gloves - although your hands have to be warm before they go into the glove for them to work properly. If you put them on after your hands have already got cold it's too late and unlike wool/fleece etc it's very hard to get neoprene warm from a cold start. Otherwise a good glove suitable to dry or wet conditions.

Barbour Neoprene Gloves Page 1

I bought my seal skinz shooting gloves halfway through last shooting season and can only say they have been brilliant.

My only gripe could be that last year when it got down to minus 17 degrees celcius they were not warm enough, but for 99% of my shooting they are without peer. I just need some lined ones for when it's really cold!

ft

Thanks guys.

-17C is pretty cold. I might not have to plan for too many outings in those sort of temperatures! Not living here in sunny, tropical Yorkshire!

It looks like sealskinz of some desctription are top of the list for me. Thanks for the note on the noprene warming issues. I was not aware of that.

DC

ive got sealskinz and they are waterproof even when crawling on open hill ground.The latest ones have got a removable trigger finger as well

I've had a pair of sealskinz for a couple of years now, I've been very impressed with them. They have always been 100% waterproof and keep my hands warm, if it's very cold I use liners with them. They'll never be as warm as a pair of mittens, but they do a good job and allow freedom of movement.

I got sealskin hunter gloves and I binned them after a few months. Not even water resistant let alone waterproof. The liners pull out when damp (ie every time you wear them!) and are a bugger to get back in.....hopeless. Good in the dry though!

Hello all,

I usually end up with some fingerless thinsulate efforts from the local garage when the cold really comes in and I'm putting a tank full in the vehicle.

I'm contemplating getting some 'proper' shooting gloves this winter. The one's I've been looking at are the Sealskinz - shooting glove. They look like a decent pair that would keep my hands warm, dry, and unrestricted enough to use them for stalking without too much effort fiddleing around with bolts,bullets/ magazines, safetys, and the trigger.

Who can reccommend these gloves or others? As always, I appreciate any replies, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks

DC

I don't know if these are the "best" or not, but I wore a pair to go Boar shooting last season, in minus god knows what, standing stalk still in the Baltic woods for hours on end and my hands did not get seriously cold. I suffer from Raynauds syndrome so I guess that means they're pretty decent gloves.

I wear Barbour's knitted wool fingerless gloves.

I find that wool seems to keep you quite warm even when wet, unlike silk-lined leather pheasant-shooting gloves.

Is 'neoprene' not the stuff moderator-covers are made of? Not sure I'd like to wear it.

Last edited:
I don't know if these are the "best" or not, but I wore a pair to go Boar shooting last season, in minus god knows what, standing stalk still in the Baltic woods for hours on end and my hands did not get seriously cold. I suffer from Raynauds syndrome so I guess that means they're pretty decent gloves.

Tamus, can we have a name or link for your "pretty decent gloves"?

ft

Tamus, can we have a name or link for your "pretty decent gloves"?

ft

Hi Flytie, I was replying to DC .270's post and he was asking about sealskinz shooting gloves, t'was those I was talking about.

I've had the sealskinz waterproof gloves in the past as well and they're ok but I seem to be savage on gloves and they never stayed waterproof very long. The shooting gloves are warmer and I've managed to make them last too.

I've got both the sealskinz shooting glove with the foldable trigger finger and the ultra grip.
The shooting version is the one to go for for shooting. They are the only gloves I've found that are warm enough and keep your paws dry without being overly bulky. The leather palms also become super grippy when wet which I find good.
I have a pair of macwets which I use in autumn which are good but not warm enough for me in this time of year on the North Yorks moors.
The sealskinz ultra grips are great as an all purpose glove. I use mine for general day wear, deicing the car etc. I find them a bit bulky for shooting though.
Have a look here for sealskinz at reasonable prices. They also do a meraklon propylene baselayer which are the same as helly's for about half the price.
http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/index/

Thanks guys.

I wish I'd made my decision and bought some a few days ago. I was out on Saturday night and crikey it was cold! minus double figures anyway.

It looks like the sealskinz are the ones for me. In spite of the one comment stating quality issues, I hope that is an infrequent occurance.

Thanks again for your comments.

DC

I have a pair of Seeland Keeper gloves, about £35.00. never leaked or been cold when wearing them. Warmer weather I use La Chameau windstopper fleece and leather gloves. I would recommend both pairs if I had to choose one it would be the Seeland.

Jon

I have a pair of the green sealskins with the foldable trigger finger. I have just had a week in the Highlands and I think it is fair to say they were well and truly tested and passed with flying colours. I always find with gloves that its a bit of trade off, warmth or dexterity?. In the past I have always had two pairs of gloves on the go. One thick pair, extremley warm for sitting in a high seat, that I would remove the one from the trigger hand just before taking a shot. The other pair for when moving around, so thinner but wind and waterproof. The sealskins are suitable for both senario's. I havent had then long so dont know how durable they are but so far they are the best gloves I have owned.

The pony "lad" on Blair Atholl estate wears sealskinz and he's out in all weathers and often above the snow line. I'd rather try them on to check fit so next time I'm at Bushwear they're on my to buy list.

fraser

Back