Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice required ref binoculars

Advice required ref binoculars

Dear all,

I've been reading the various binocular related threads that have appeared over recent months to help me find a suitable set for around the 500 to 600 mark.

I've just been offered a pair of Zeiss Victory FL 8 x 42,1 year old (just been part exchanged, today) the glass is immacculate, there is not one sign of even the slightest use, they are boxed with all warranties, caps, straps etc...

The price .......... 870.

More than I wanted to pay at the moment but how often will I have the opportunity to buy a pair in this standard (perfect, as new) for this price? I think new they retail at about 1200 ish. I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, in anticipation.

DC

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    What's their after sales service like?

For the customer service I have received from Swarovski, I'd be going for something like this

SLC 7x42

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quite right.

Where are the SLC's in the swarovski line - near the top end or entry level? Apologies for a complete lack of bino knowledge and therfore silly question.

Thanks Stu.

DC

Go with your gut instinct... there is very little to choose between any of the big 3, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica... all boils down to your favourite flavour at that level!!! so I would say... do it... I originally had a pair of 600 Pentaxs which I thought were the mutts nuts.... until I looked through a pair of Leicas and the rest... as they say is history.... Now have a pair of Leica Geovids (8x56) which should, in all reality, be the last pair of bins I'll ever buy and that, to my mind, is why you buy products from the big 3!

Very true Vipa. They are a big investment, not only financially but because they're likely to be the only things you look through (rifle scope aside) for many years.

Thanks,

DC

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Quite right.

Where are the SLC's in the swarovski line - near the top end or entry level? Apologies for a complete lack of bino knowledge and therfore silly question.

Thanks Stu.

DC
    I wouldn't say they are entry level one bit, should be all you need and for that price you can't go wrong, buy them then send them off to Swarovski for a "Repair" and get them completely overhauled although I doubt you'd need to. I have the Swarovski 10x42 EL's and wouldn't have any other make of Bins to be honest. If I do go for a pocket set, they will be something like the 8x20 he has.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Dave, can't comment on those zeiss although my brother has a pair of what i think are 1990s Zeiss Dailyt 10x40s and the are amazing something like these (they're something like these >CLICK ME< . Comfortable in the hand and I feel the image quality to be superior to my fathers Swarovski SLCs 8x30s and my mothers Swarovski EL 8x42s however both of them are more than you'll ever need. Its just a case of what you like in a pair of binos. Just my tu-pence worth.

George

I would say they are a little bit dear really. The reason I say this is because they are currently my bins of choice, and I've watched quite a few pairs on fleabay over the last few months. I've just gone into my watch list, and they last few pairs have gone between 690 - 800. These were described as pristine with the Lotutec coating, which I think is excellent. I once spent 3 hours (in good light) evaluating the Swarovision, and the FL, and couldn't see the price difference between them, but twilight may tell a different tale, and I'm certainly no optics expert.
    I think the points raised above are good ones though, Swaro have a hell of a reputation in the after sales department, I have never dealt with Zeiss so can't comment on that front, but would like to hope that they are comparable. I know Leica had a poor reputation for years, but couldn't say if this is still justified or wether they have upped their game now. Maybe a Zeiss/Leica owner could comment?
    They are certainly top notch, and the SLC's are tremendous also, down to personal preference really. Just make sure to try them, make sure they fit your face etc.

DC

I had a set of Zeiss Victory's 7x42. The eye extension tubes were very fragile and needed to be fixed twice. I traded them in for Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42. Wish I had bought the Swarovski's years ago.

Rgds JCS

Dave,

as much as it offends your natural instincts you are going to have to spend money If you are taken with the pair you have been offered and consider them a bargain then dig deep and buy them. If you do not wish to exceed your self imposed limit then perhaps you should try something like the Kahles that Macleods have on offer just now.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses