Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dsc 2

Established Poster

Dsc 2

Hi guys i want some info here please it just that i was thinking about doing my DSC 2 soon ish so i was wondering if any of you nice peeps could give me some insight into what i will encounter as im rubbish as test and exams lol

Firstly foxy you have this in the wrong section, no prob’ I am sure Malc/Alex/JB will move it to the right section then you will get a few more replies, hopefully from some of the accredited witness on here.

Firstly you will need to remember the theory from your level 1.

You will need to stalk and shoot 3 deer, gralloch them correctly wit out contaminating the deer carcass etc, know the location of all the lymph nodes, be able to identify all 6 notifiable diseases and know what actions to take in each case. You need to know your larder hygiene etc.

Also know the correct action to take when it is necessary to follow up on a wounded deer.

I have no doubt missed a fair bit out, but I am sure other will help as a start this gives you a idea.

If you have shot a fair few deer then you should not have any issues, if you are a newbie then I have my doubts personally that you would be able to do everything correctly, I heard rumours in the past of people shooting less than ten deer including the 3 for the DS2 and passing all the criteria, I doubt when I had that little experience I could of met the criteria necessary for Level 2.

It is not a exam, if you don’t reach the criteria for a certain area you will be asked to do some more work in that area.

ATB

Tahr

Moved from classifieds...

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Firstly foxy you have this in the wrong section, no prob’ I am sure Malc/Alex/JB will move it to the right section then you will get a few more replies, hopefully from some of the accredited witness on here.

Firstly you will need to remember the theory from your level 1.

You will need to stalk and shoot 3 deer, gralloch them correctly wit out contaminating the deer carcass etc, know the location of all the lymph nodes, be able to identify all 6 notifiable diseases and know what actions to take in each case. You need to know your larder hygiene etc.

Also know the correct action to take when it is necessary to follow up on a wounded deer.

I have no doubt missed a fair bit out, but I am sure other will help as a start this gives you a idea.

If you have shot a fair few deer then you should not have any issues, if you are a newbie then I have my doubts personally that you would be able to do everything correctly, I heard rumours in the past of people shooting less than ten deer including the 3 for the DS2 and passing all the criteria, I doubt when I had that little experience I could of met the criteria necessary for Level 2.

It is not a exam, if you don’t reach the criteria for a certain area you will be asked to do some more work in that area.

ATB

Tahr

6 Kevin?

Here's a list of 7 notifiable diseases, but it's not current. If anyone has a more up to date list, can they post a copy?

Thanks JCS

Hi mate.
    You'll find all you need to know about the qualification here:
    http://dmq.org.uk/index.html
    My advice would be to get either an AW or someone that has done DSC 2 recently to give you some practical guidance/training before you attempt your first stalk. They will hopefully be able to advise you and ensure you are at the right level to go for it.
    It's a big step on from level 1 but you needn't be afraid of it.
    Good Luck.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    6 Kevin?
    Aujeszky's disease is a new one on me, used to be only 3 IIRC now we are up to 7, then you have Warble fly as well.

ATB

Tahr

Along with brushing up on your Level 1 booklet I found the Best Practice Guidance folder to be a really useful practical guide to gralloching and lardering etc. Other than that its all down to practical experience. If you know the right way round a beast with a knife your half way there so get as much experience as possible BEFORE you start your portfolio. Hope this helps. Good luck

Kiwikeeper

Account Suspended
    Aujeszky's disease is a new one on me, used to be only 3 IIRC now we are up to 7, then you have Warble fly as well
    Are you sure there is an onus, under the law, upon the stalker to notify such things as warble fly?

DEFRA's website says:

Legislation

Warble Fly is a notifiable disease whereby it is a statutory requirement that the owner or person in charge of cattle known or suspected of being infected by warble fly is required to notify the Divisional Veterinary Manager at their local Animal Health Divisional Office, with all practicable speed.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Are you sure there is an onus, under the law, upon the stalker to notify such things as warble fly?

DEFRA's website says:

Legislation

Warble Fly is a notifiable disease whereby it is a statutory requirement that the owner or person in charge of cattle known or suspected of being infected by warble fly is required to notify the Divisional Veterinary Manager at their local Animal Health Divisional Office, with all practicable speed.
    I asked this very question >HERE<

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position