Dsc 2

foxer1

:D Hi guys i want some info here please it just that i was thinking about doing my DSC 2 soon ish so i was wondering if any of you nice peeps could give me some insight into what i will encounter as im rubbish as test and exams lol

Firstly foxy you have this in the wrong section,:oops: no prob’ I am sure Malc/Alex/JB will move it to the right section then you will get a few more replies, hopefully from some of the accredited witness on here.

Firstly you will need to remember the theory from your level 1.

You will need to stalk and shoot 3 deer, gralloch them correctly wit out contaminating the deer carcass etc, know the location of all the lymph nodes, be able to identify all 6 notifiable diseases and know what actions to take in each case. You need to know your larder hygiene etc.

Also know the correct action to take when it is necessary to follow up on a wounded deer.

I have no doubt missed a fair bit out, but I am sure other will help as a start this gives you a idea.

If you have shot a fair few deer then you should not have any issues, if you are a newbie then I have my doubts personally that you would be able to do everything correctly, I heard rumours in the past of people shooting less than ten deer including the 3 for the DS2 and passing all the criteria:-|, I doubt when I had that little experience I could of met the criteria necessary for Level 2.

It is not a exam, if you don’t reach the criteria for a certain area you will be asked to do some more work in that area.

ATB

Tahr

Firstly foxy you have this in the wrong section,:oops: no prob’ I am sure Malc/Alex/JB will move it to the right section then you will get a few more replies, hopefully from some of the accredited witness on here.

Firstly you will need to remember the theory from your level 1.

You will need to stalk and shoot 3 deer, gralloch them correctly wit out contaminating the deer carcass etc, know the location of all the lymph nodes, be able to identify all 6 notifiable diseases and know what actions to take in each case. You need to know your larder hygiene etc.

Also know the correct action to take when it is necessary to follow up on a wounded deer.

I have no doubt missed a fair bit out, but I am sure other will help as a start this gives you a idea.

If you have shot a fair few deer then you should not have any issues, if you are a newbie then I have my doubts personally that you would be able to do everything correctly, I heard rumours in the past of people shooting less than ten deer including the 3 for the DS2 and passing all the criteria:-|, I doubt when I had that little experience I could of met the criteria necessary for Level 2.

It is not a exam, if you don’t reach the criteria for a certain area you will be asked to do some more work in that area.

ATB

Tahr

6 Kevin?

Here's a list of 7 notifiable diseases, but it's not current. If anyone has a more up to date list, can they post a copy?

Thanks JCS

Hi mate.
You'll find all you need to know about the qualification here:
http://dmq.org.uk/index.html
My advice would be to get either an AW or someone that has done DSC 2 recently to give you some practical guidance/training before you attempt your first stalk. They will hopefully be able to advise you and ensure you are at the right level to go for it.;)
It's a big step on from level 1 but you needn't be afraid of it.
Good Luck.
MS:)

Along with brushing up on your Level 1 booklet I found the Best Practice Guidance folder to be a really useful practical guide to gralloching and lardering etc. Other than that its all down to practical experience. If you know the right way round a beast with a knife your half way there so get as much experience as possible BEFORE you start your portfolio. Hope this helps. Good luck

Kiwikeeper

Aujeszky's disease is a new one on me,:oops: used to be only 3 IIRC now we are up to 7, then you have Warble fly as well

Are you sure there is an onus, under the law, upon the stalker to notify such things as warble fly?

DEFRA's website says:

Legislation

Warble Fly is a notifiable disease whereby it is a statutory requirement that the owner or person in charge of cattle known or suspected of being infected by warble fly is required to notify the Divisional Veterinary Manager at their local Animal Health Divisional Office, with all practicable speed.

Are you sure there is an onus, under the law, upon the stalker to notify such things as warble fly?

DEFRA's website says:

Legislation

Warble Fly is a notifiable disease whereby it is a statutory requirement that the owner or person in charge of cattle known or suspected of being infected by warble fly is required to notify the Divisional Veterinary Manager at their local Animal Health Divisional Office, with all practicable speed.

I asked this very question >HERE<

TJ

Foxer,
Presumably you have not registered for level 2 ?.
When you do this latest edition of the portfolio is accompanied by a new explanatory CD rom which explains all you need to know and what will be required of you by the AW and DMQ for the award. It is an invaluable aid for new candidates and is superbly produced.
Register and you can watch it as many times as you like before getting the ball rolling re contacting an AW and Assesor.
Good luck and don't worry that you will be rubbish at tests and exams. Nobody will be trying to catch you out I can assure you.
Cheers
S.

DEFRA's website says:

Legislation

I wasnt aware that warble fly had to be notified either shame on me:oops:
and in all honesty I am still perplexed on the issue

Warble infestation was made notifiable because of the damage the lavae do or did to the cattle hides, not sure if anybody cares about deer skins:rolleyes:
Warble that effect cattle hypoderma bovis,deer warbles H diana.

Nell

When you've done dsc1 and stalked and dealt with single handed a dozen or so beasts you will have no trouble with dsc2...
If you don't meet those simple criteria you need too spend!!!
All this obscure veterinary science talk is just folk trying too pull the wool over your eyes ... In the real world a sick deer is very rare and obvious .... you shoot it and bury it.

All this obscure veterinary science talk is just folk trying too pull the wool over your eyes ... In the real world a sick deer is very rare and obvious .... you shoot it and bury it.

No wool pulling here... and I doubt if anyone else had any other intention than to give helpful pointers, even if we did sidetrack down one of the more obscure issues. As to just burying them if they're sick, that; rather foolishly, negates the whole point of the notifiable disease regulations. As actions go, it might be an easy "out" but it is not the responsible one.

Back