Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is probably supid.... but

this is probably supid.... but

baring in mind the forcast i'm going up to sutherland from the scottish border tonight leaving about 1am to have a look around and to retrieve a trail cam from my patch that's been there for a couple of weeks now. Looking forward to seeing what's sneaking about the woodland.

So I might get stuck or the a9 snow gates might be closed but sod it, me and my puggy are going for it.

ps,

yes I have my baggy, flask, shovel, ipod and cleenex

take it easy bud

Nothing better than stalking in winter especially with snow on the ground amazing how many slots you come across,these trail cams do they take pics or videos,I presume they flash for night shots could you use one for say poachers or would they see the cam flash .

you set them how you want to record so either, pics, vids or a mix. newer ones have good spec night vision so your pics at night are really good.

Range Master,

IR ( infra red) sees in the dark

Good way of logging movements in/out your ground as it gets the Reg numbers of "alleged poachers".

Stan

good luck mate
    sorry i couldnt join u ,got church tmoro
    meant to say i have one of these cams
    speak soon
    solway

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Range Master,

IR ( infra red) sees in the dark

Good way of logging movements in/out your ground as it gets the Reg numbers of "alleged poachers".

Stan
    HI Stan not really clued up on trail cams ,do they give off light IR has a red light is it noticible to say a poacher walking past it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    you set them how you want to record so either, pics, vids or a mix. newer ones have good spec night vision so your pics at night are really good.
    Very interesting will have to get some info on these cams would be interesting to find out what you recorded thanks

dont think getting there will be a problem, its the getting back that might be an issue, now wouldnt that be a shame, getting snowed in while "stalking" i can just imagine the phone call to work on monday morning!

good luck

Skipp.

That was a bananas run up and back to sutherland but I got the cam back, there was deer everywhere. A mixed group of reds were well into the property when I went out but with the 18 inches of snow on the ground was I heck going to shoot and drag one!

One the way back there must have been more that a thousand reds along the a9 just south of dalwinnie scattered along a 15 mile stretch. parts of the a9 were closed south of perth so I ended up going to dundee then edinburgh, back to glasgow before home as usual.

What's shocking is the number of people that simply can't drive in snow and think for example that wheel spinning is the best way to move up a hill and that overtaking while driving through rutted ice and snow is a good idea to get there faster (before they end up hitting something or someone unfriendly) Must have been more than a dozen crunches I went past.