Thread: 6.8mm SPC anybody??

6.8mm SPC anybody??

I had a chance to shoot an AR-15 autoloader in this caliber this weekend. It is basically an old 30 Remington case head size necked to .270. The standard load is 110 grains. Handloading will go to 115 grains from what I hear. The speeds are in the 2700 - 3000 fps class depending on the bullet weight.

The rifle shot extremely well averaging 1" with factory Remington soft point ammo. I was on surgical call this weekend and couldn't stray far from the beaten path but my friend killed a nice mule deer doe with it at +/- 300 yards. His dad said that it went down at the shot and had expired by the time they'd gotten to it.

Not my first choice for 300 yards shooting but an interesting cartridge...~Muir

I would have thought that a nice efficient cartridge like 6.8 SPC would meet with your approval Muir, would be a easy round for us to moderate in the UK.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I would have thought that a nice efficient cartridge like 6.8 SPC would meet with your approval Muir, would be a easy round for us to moderate in the UK.

ATB

Tahr
    I do like it. The cartridge head is similar to the 6.5x54MS so I believer that gun makers would fuss largely over ginning up the redesign of one of their centerfires... tho something in .223 could be altered fast enough. Obviously the magazines will work with a follower modification as evidenced by the use of it in an AR chassis.

For your area I think it might be ideal and yes, efficient! I wouldn't mind having one myself....~Muir

PS: I did a quick check. Lee Precision makes dies and Factory Crimp dies for this round....Uh-oh! The gears are grinding....

Think someone's sickening for summat!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The short, powder efficient cartridge, giving good retained energy levels down-range is proving to be of interest to the "allied" military at the moment. Trials have been going on with the 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC and even the old .280 British. I only know of one .280 British being used on deer, and that is Lewis Potter's. But it is damned effective. I cannot see why the 6.8 SPC could not be just as, or even more, effective on deer.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.