Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 222 loads please

222 loads please

Hi Guys

I am just a beginner when it comes to reloading and wondered if anyone has any good 222 loads / bullet suggestions that they can recommend. I am awaiting my FC variation and hope to buy a s/h rifle soon and wanted some ideas for accurate / destructive varmint rounds. I would also be interested in any 222 reloading kit that anyone has to sell.

M

If you are in the SE Scotland BDS branch ask Calum to send a note round to the branch members asking for .222 reloading kit. Even if you aren't a member, you are welcome to branch meetings and from time to time we have a session on reloading.

BDS Region - South East Scotland

The 2011 agenda isn't set yet, but generally we meet on the 1st Tuesday evening of each month.

Rgds JCS

re : meetings

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I would be really interested in coming along to local branch meetings as I am a serious recreational stalker.

Where would I get information on venue etc ?

regards

Alan

If you are in the SE Scotland BDS branch ask Calum to send a note round to the branch members asking for .222 reloading kit. Even if you aren't a member, you are welcome to branch meetings and from time to time we have a session on reloading.

The 2011 agenda isn't set yet, but generally we meet on the 1st Tuesday evening of each month.

Rgds JCS[/QUOTE]

Buy a good reloading book right off and read it. Don't learn reloading from the internet.

With that warning said, welcome to reloading! The .222 is an easy round to reload for and accuracy is always at least "good" with about any reasonable combination of components used in a decent rifle. The powder you choose will be determined by the bullet weight to some extent. You'll just have to read up on it and make your own decision. I could toss numbers at you but if you don't reload now, it would be meaningless.

As to the reloading kit, I will again toss one into the ring for the Lee Classic Loader. This is an arrangement where you tap the case into a die to size it. The whole unit, in it's plastic storage box, can be carried in your pocket. I have loaded hundreds of rounds of .222 with one of these and the results are excellent. I recently gave a local minister one of my Remmy .222's along with a Lee Loader. When he got the "bench-mounted" equipment for loading handgun he refused an offer of some .222 dies. He said that there was no reason to mess with success. Half-inch groups from his .222 weren't something he was going to alter. (He killed a deer with it last Friday, in fact...) Anyhow. The kits are inexpensive ($28US) and require just a few other little items to make life easier: about $15 US- worth.

Whatever route you take, enjoy. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mitscavitch View Post
    ...Where would I get information on venue etc ? ....
    Alan. As per the link

- for Education Centre enter Dalkeith Country Park from Dalkeith High Street, take first left and Education Centre is 100 yards on the right. (It's a modern single storey building). I am trying to post details of forthcoming meetings on here as a reminder.

Another thing that might interest you is L&BRC which shoots at 100 and 200 yds at Carfraemill from March to July. Calum is the contact for that as well.

Rgds JCS

Thanks Muir

Yes it is a bit bewildering seeing so much technical info around on the internet ! I have loaded a few batches of 243 following a "recipe" that suits my short stutzen rifle with reasonable results so far. It was really a case of what powders or heads would you recommend for a 222 from your own experiences with groupings etc but I will invest in a book. Any suggestions on that one as well ?

Thanks
    Alan

Thanks for that information it is much appreciated. Please keep me in the loop re any info for further meetings / shoots etc.

Regards

Alan

222 load 25 grains Varget behind 50 grain hornady v max bullet, I have killed foxes out to 225 yards with this load and very rarely get an exit wound.
    But this is only ok in my rifle it may be different in yours. Keith
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the grouping really good ?. I am hoping to buy a CZ which has a 24inch barrel. What rifle do you shoot with ?

Thanks
    Alan

21.5Gr of Vit 130
    Sierra 50 gr soft point or Blitz king.
    Std CCI or Fed 205 small rifle primers
    3200FPS
    Sako 24" barrel.