Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two wheel drive woes solved

Two wheel drive woes solved

I have a quattro A4 & a old 2 wheel drive A6. The latter has been transformed by a pair of Kingpin Snow & Mud tyres. They are cheap at 30 each and have transformed the car. It is now better in the snow & ice than the quattro. The tyres are amazing, they are soft and better put on station down(Like a tractor tyre). The only down side is that the bigest size is for 16 inch rims.

I was in Holland a few years ago at -25. The Dutch thought it was ridiculous that we do not use winter tyres here. I came home and put winter tyres on my van and the wifes car. Snow handling is so much better.

Ian

The standard tyre fitting for most of our driving up here is with Gislaved Frost. I always had them on the landrover and Subaru, but also fiitted them on our domestic 2Wdrives as well - particularly on the power wheels. Our retiral car - a Citroen Berlingo - has them and it handles very well indeed. A great car for getting in and out-of too once you get a bit arthritic - and plenty of high vision. It looks a bit like it is - an old fart's car, but it really is good and with lots of room.

'Never come across the Kingpin tyres, but I'll ask around the local garages closest to here. Thanks for mentioning it rodkyak.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

My lad has snow tyres on his Kango van and gets around better than RR sports on 20'' elastic bands. Bfg ATs on the Land Cruiser have been the salvation of our farm last winter and during this recent snow fall, never stuck and been through 4 foot drifts and two foot snow covered roads for miles.
    Folk underestimate the importance of the rubber compound on the tiny little contact patches that are all that stand between them and the ditch.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    It's law in Germany to have winter tyres fitted when it's winter, insurance is invalid should you be unlucky enough to try and claim.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Ecoman- "Our retiral car - a Citroen Berlingo" "an old fart's car"

I take exception to that comment. I have two Berlingos, one is the earlier version and I also have a new model. They suit my needs better than any other vehicle I know, a real countryman's car from a country that has - well a lot of country.

I've just ordered a pair of snow socks for my car. It is rear wheel drive and is as much use as the Swiss Coastguard in snow. I had to be pulled off a flat car park last winter cause it'd snowed while I was away and I then got stuck. I've read good things about snow socks so will give them a try. I'll post how I get on.

Cheers,

Bob

The ols Cherokee has M&S tyres but right now is in a dyke wehre it slid ona tight bend. Fresh snow on top of ice........................... not good. Since I got out to walk to the farm nearest to it. The Jeep has slid a further 2 foot sideways down the steep dyke side. Waiting for the winch to arrive now .

Hello 8X57. No insult intended.

I mention the Berlingo in the most affectionate sense. It's by far the most comfortable drive - with best viewing - that my wife and I have had. Just the shape and general comments which come from some others which I don't give a damn about. (although I do admit that for the most part, other Berlingos I see on the road are driven by more mature drivers).
    My only complaint about it is that I didn't have one before. Two tall friends who were driven by us to a dinner one evening commented with amazement on the head room.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    I've just ordered a pair of snow socks for my car. It is rear wheel drive and is as much use as the Swiss Coastguard in snow. I had to be pulled off a flat car park last winter cause it'd snowed while I was away and I then got stuck. I've read good things about snow socks so will give them a try. I'll post how I get on.

Cheers,

Bob
    I bought 3 sets of them last spring for our primastar vans, worked a treat once they arrived (delayed by massive demand and once fresh supply's arrived ......snow stopped deliveries ! )