M595 extended magazines

j0e_bl0ggs

Was wondering if any one would be interested in some extended magazines for the Tikka M595. (I'm thinking 8-10 rounds in 243/308 aluminium anodised black)
I am in the process of design and toolmaking.
cheers!

I certainly would be interested to see some of these. Any thoughts as to an eventual price?

Novice

Good idea making the mags, what are your thoughts?

Will this be single or double stack?

Are you going to source the follower and spring from another produced magazine?

Will it resemble an M14 mag, if so, what will ground clearance be like when shooting from a bipod? :thumb:

Ok, general idea is single stack as original, double stack cannot be used without serious bottom plastic mods, 8 to 10 rounds, 10 would be max I think.(whichever does not look too silly and works with a bipod) follower and spring will be made as with the rest of the magazine.
I hope that the price will be comparable to the plastic 5 round mag that tikka sells obviously quality will be nicer than the plastic offering. Anodising offers some colour variation for the tackle tarts :)
If I can make these to a standard that I think would be acceptable then a few will be made for sale if there is a serious interest. As for the m690, do not own one of them! but if you can lend me a magazine / draw / photograph the magazine with accurate dimensions then it can possibly be looked at! (as you probably can imagine Physical fit and operation needs to be checked against the real thing!)

(oh, BTW, was offered a plastic 5 round mag for £100..'twas then, after I picked myself up off of the floor, that I decided to make the damn things and not limit myself to 5 rounds!!!)

I will post pics of prototypes when they are completed! Be aware that this is a 'spare time' project and that there is significant tooling / experimenting to be done!!!
Any ideas, comments are welcome!
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mate. I'll see if I can post some photos but it is basically the long action to the m590/m595's short action. I am hoping it will be just a case of extending the magazine you are already planning to make a little.

As a side note chaps, the M590 and M590 magazines are functionally interchangeable aren't they?

Well done for doing this, I'm sure there will be a ready market as those older Tikka actions make very accurate custom rifle platforms.

This sounds really interesting.

I should give a word of caution to .22/250 owners - there's a third size of M595 mag for the .22/250 that is inbetween the .223 & .308 magazines, I didn't know this until recently, I'm sure it is all detailed in the parts list in the manual.

When I asked about a 6 shot mag in the .17rem/.222/.223 size, the gunsmith ordered up one from GMK (wash your mouth out) this has a plastic base that extends beneath the stock, the body and lips are metal.

I do need a spare mag in .308 size, I won't be supporting GMK due to their attitude towards customers, so will be interested to see what you produce.

:tiphat:

Well project at the moment is for the 243 (308) (as I have one!) I would imagine that the 22-250 has slightly longer feed lips, but not having seen one cannot put my head on the block! OK m590 = long action needs its own tooling for spring and box, but if there is enough interest I cannot see that being too much of a problem in the future... have enough on the plate to design and build the spring winding fixture at the moment!!!!

The .22/250 mag is the same idea as the .223 in that it has a blocked off section to the rear, it is dimentionally similar to the .243/.308 size though as the feed lips look just slightly narrower.

I think (please don't take my word for it) the Tikka M590 will take the same mags as a M595, I don't know about the M558 though.

Well if 590 = long action mags will not be interchangeable just put a 150 grain 30-06 in the 595 mag an it overhangs by 1/4";) but hey its another project if there is reasonable interest!!!

No Sorry Joe, I may have worded my post badly.

The M590 and M690 were the model of rifles made just before the M595 and M695 series.

The 5xx were the short actions and the M6xx were the long actions.

The M690 mag I have for my 30.06 ( great minds eh? ) is of metal with a plastic bottom and follower. I would be very interested in both a metal replacement for the three round and an extended one for driven shooting.

DL makes a good point about the 22-250.

Are the original M595 mags all plastic?

Ten round magazines in .222 / .223 for the 595 would be very popular, but they would have to be of at least 10 round capacity. I have a six round original Tikka magazine which is useful for some target shooting competitions but is doesn't have sufficient capacity for some competitions that I would like to shoot.
If the price is reasonable I would be interested in buying a couple of these magazines in .222/.223 size.

The packaging for my M595 .308 replacement magazine says "Magazine M558-95" with a part number of S5840374 ....not sure if that sheds any light on whether the M590/595 mags are interchangeable.

Ten round magazines in .222 / .223 for the 595 would be very popular, but they would have to be of at least 10 round capacity. I have a six round original Tikka magazine which is useful for some target shooting competitions but is doesn't have sufficient capacity for some competitions that I would like to shoot.
If the price is reasonable I would be interested in buying a couple of these magazines in .222/.223 size.

ohhhh yessss..... It is on the cards when I get my 17rem back!!!!!:) but first the 243!!!

Price will be what it is after understanding tooling costs etc, please note I'm not making these to give away, by the same token I do not wish to tear out a new rectum like most gunshops do! I will ask a Fair price when I know what is involved!

I'd be interested in a 5 or 6 round (max) magazine for my 595 in .243 . I think that single stacking 243 size rounds higher than that may make it more likely to jam.
I have an older 223 Tikka which has a sheet steel six round single stack mag and that feeds fine.
Keep us posted with progress!

I'd be interested in a 5 or 6 round (max) magazine for my 595 in .243 . I think that single stacking 243 size rounds higher than that may make it more likely to jam.
I have an older 223 Tikka which has a sheet steel six round single stack mag and that feeds fine.
Keep us posted with progress!
There is no option to make double stack without modifying bottom 'metal' and stock, not going down that road so don't worry about it.
As to more likely to jam? you have made a magazine before? as to making a 5 or 6 round magazine in 243, 5 round is available from your local Tikka supplier, I am not going to make a 5 or 6 round mag...sorry.
I am going to make large cap hopefully 10 rounds.
Try to understand that the tooling makes ONE size of magazine... so back to the opening post 8 to 10 round single stack m595 that is the first project and the one that all others will be based upon.
Cheers

Back