Thread: Swift Scirocco in 308

Swift Scirocco in 308

Does any body have any experiance in loading the 150gn scirocco for the .308?

Any addvice would be gratefully recieved.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Does any body have any experiance in loading the 150gn scirocco for the .308?

Any addvice would be gratefully recieved.

steve

Hi Steve
    What are you intending to hunt with them????

Fantastic bullet but be careful with them, if they are not driven fast enough you might have problems with lack of expansion.

I used to use some 165grn in my 300wsm no problem.

I loaded some in my .308 and neck shot a big Fallow buck in the rut, so a fair old neck on him. He stood up again so I shot it in the neck again, I had to shoot it a third time in the head at close range to finish it. The first two bullets had not expanded at all and just drilled two perfect 30 cal holes. I got on better with the "A" frames.

Atb

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    Hi Steve
    What are you intending to hunt with them????

Fantastic bullet but be careful with them, if they are not driven fast enough you might have problems with lack of expansion.

I used to use some 165grn in my 300wsm no problem.

I loaded some in my .308 and neck shot a big Fallow buck in the rut, so a fair old neck on him. He stood up again so I shot it in the neck again, I had to shoot it a third time in the head at close range to finish it. The first two bullets had not expanded at all and just drilled two perfect 30 cal holes. I got on better with the "A" frames.

Atb

Wayne
    Wayne

I was going to use them for my general stalking, muntie,roe and fallow....i take it you would advise against this.

regards steve

I have used 130gr Swift Scirocco II in my 260 Rem. I struggled to get a consistent load and load development proved very expensive (>50p a bullet). I did shoot at least one roe buck with it, but went back to Hornady 129 gr SST/SPs. My recommendation for the .308 would be:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .308 30 CAL :: 30 Cal .308 150gr InterLock® SP

Regards JCS

Thanks jcs but i dont want to use a soft point bullet

steve

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Wayne

I was going to use them for my general stalking, muntie,roe and fallow....i take it you would advise against this.

regards steve
    Hi Steve
    I probably would, I think they are probably designed to be used in fast 30 cals on large American/ African game and as jcampellsmith said very expensive. I used 125 B/t's in mine for 10 years never had under expansion problems thats for sure .

Wayne

How about Barnes TSX, I've been using them for the last five years on everything.

The Swift Scirocco is a pretty tough for cal' bullet. Kinda designed to let you shoot bigger game than your cal' generally permits. I used them in .270 but found them a bit like shooting needles through U.K deer. I gave them to a mate who used them on boar and he thought they were great. They would not be my first choice for U.K use but then again everyone looks for different things in a bullet.