Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodcock

Woodcock

On my recent foxhunting outings i have noticed that there are a lot of woodcock about this year, anyone else noticed this.

It is part of the migration pattern. In the winter months (Nov-Feb) birds migrate across the North Sea from Scandinavia (and Russia!) to feed here in the Isles. We do have indigenous Woodcock too.
    You will find the migrants to be slightly lighter in colour and on a guess about 4/5ths the size. A full moon will almost certainly be followed by sightings of higher Woodcock numbers.
    PS I am the Spotter Conservation Officer for our shoot! Tis' rich in Woodcock.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Yes, seeing them almost on every outing especially on one particular permission.

There are two in the hedge in my garden right now. I have seen them over the past couple of days.

In some areas here in NI, you could easily see 15 - 20 in a nights lamping.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

The first lot came in on the last full moon which wasnt that long ago, they seem to be moving more towards the coast here, the majority feeding on the foreshore as the ground inland has frozen hard.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

They have started to arrive down here in Devon, quite a lot about now. If the weather continues like it is we should be getting a lot more!

We have them over here in The States, but they are few and far between and dwindling due to habitat loss. They are one of my favorite game birds. Any pictures of 'birds in hand' would be well-appreciated.

Paul

alot turned up here now . Whinfell eh , you must know gregor

Here's on that I set up and cased last year. Beautiful birds!

Beautiful birds and a beautiful mount.

Paul