Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thankyou sir lamp alot

Thankyou sir lamp alot

I would just like to say a massive thank you to Dan, AKA Sir lamp a lot. He bought my .22 rim fire which I had for sale in the classified section. As he lives in Wiltshire and I in Yorkshire I offered to deliver it to him F2F in exchange for a stalk on the roe with him.
    So, at 3am Sunday morning I set off down the motorway which was a total pleasure because there was only me on the road and no other traffic mithering me.
    I got to Dans at 6.50 am and had a chat and a coffee before setting off for a stalk. At the ground we got set up and started the stalk with Dan giving me as much info as possible as to where he has been seeing deer. He told me that he generally sees something in the field just through the gate into a paddock. We approached the gate with care trying our best to be quiet but it was difficult with the ground frost. As I poked my head through the gate which was screened either side with a tall hedge I straight away spotted a buck laid down with a doe laid down behind him. The buck was looking right at me about 70 yards away, I put my sticks up and started to take the rifle of my shoulder in preparation for when/if they stood up but managed to just catch the gun on the sticks making that dreaded metallic sound. Up they got and without hesitation ran off across the field making for the hedge at the other side, never mind at least all the panicking that Dan had been having in not seeing something when I had travelled 218 miles was now history, but I always did say that he needn’t fret about it.
    Off we went again making our way across more fields with me telling Dan that I would be amazed if we didn`t see anything else as the ground really sells itself to having deer on.
    Eventually we had worked our way to nearly the back of the ground with Dan saying that he knew of a Doe and twins frequenting this particular field. We made our way to this corner of a field and I spotted them over at the other end along a hedge, a Doe and twins laid down about 120 yards away with a very nice looking buck browsing the hedge a bit further up. They were totally oblivious to our presence but it would be difficult to get any nearer as there was no cover to stalk behind.
    I put my rifle on my back and crawled from the corner all sniper like to where there was some thistles that were dying but just about gave enough cover to actually get from the hedge we were on and into the field they were in. As I crawled to the thistles one of them stood up so I put the legs on my bipod down and got ready. Cross hairs on and bang, the youngster lifted into the air and came crashing down. With this the others ran across the field stopping broadside on in front of me at about 150 yards, and with another round chamber straight away bang and down she went too. The other youngster was still there too. Dan was down with his gun on the bipod, waited for it to present itself broadside and down it went.
    On our way back we came across this guy walking his dog, “oh, so you are the people poaching this ground he said”
    “Yes, we are full of tricks like that, walking across a field in broad daylight with 3 deer and 2 full bore rifles, are we eckers like poaching the ground” I said, “this guy has got the stalking rights on here “ .
    He was ok, but talked the usual b******* ., like, “that`s not a bad mornings work, how much are those 3 worth, £300?, because I know in London they go for a fortune“.
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people know nothing about everything as he was quite persistent with what he was saying.

I would like to say many thanks to Dan (sir lamp a lot) it was a real pleasure meeting you mate and well worth the trip to your ground for a stalk, and you told me you were really happy the .22, so happy people all round.

ATB

wadas

Nice one guys, good result!

Quote Originally Posted by wadashot View Post
    with me telling Dan that I would be amazed if we didn`t see anything else as the ground really sells itself to having deer on.
    You mean it was deerish?

no problems mate i really enjoyed my self as well and Ian (wadashot) was a spot on bloke i must admit. i would really recomend to anyone that it's much better to meet up when selling kit on here, and having a days shooting out together. i know that some people dont have there own stalking ground but even if its a morning on the pidgeons or a trip round rabbiting in the lamp it doesnt matter, you get a day out andf to meet a new face, plus you get you item quicker!!!. once again Ian thanks for bringing the gun down and i'm glad you enjoyed your stalk and i'm even more glad you got to bag somthing i must admit i would have been gutted to send you home with nothing, and who know prehaps you might be about when that buck you saw comes back into season?
    all the best Dan
    Last edited by sir-lamp-alot; 29-11-2010 at 19:25. Reason: cant spell

Ahh so thats what you have been up to Wada's must be nice to be on deerish looking ground and no one like Andy mithering you all the way there and back

Well done glad you are getting out there mate, any news on the new rifle yet

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Sikamalc

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Ahh so thats what you have been up to Wada's must be nice to be on deerish looking ground and no one like Andy mithering you all the way there and back

Well done glad you are getting out there mate, any news on the new rifle yet

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Sikamalc
    Cheers Malc. Yes it was deerish.

No news on the new gun yet, i imagine it will be tother side of christmas, but it`s all but paid for now and looking forward to getting it.

Hopefully get out over christmas mate.

wadas

brilliant story of the stalk, put it in sporting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by SecretStalker.308 View Post
    brilliant story of the stalk, put it in sporting rifle
    we would but news of the world and ok magazine want to do interviews with us both............sorry couldnt help myself

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i would really recomend to anyone that it's much better to meet up when selling kit on here, and having a days shooting out together.
    Definitely the way to do it, this or any other shooting forum.
    Glad it all worked out for both of you.

Neil.

well done dan, for putting up with wadas mithering you for the morning, thats what i have to put up with all the time , im glad you got him a shot mate well done. as you know i still didnt get any piece he was still on the phone to me .

Bloody hell Wadas the man was good enough to take you stalking and you shot 2 of his deer, there is enough greed in this world without you getting in on the act . You would have trouble getting out up here, good job you cancelled.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses