Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best two-wheel drive offroad

Best two-wheel drive offroad

Following on from the thread http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...s-solved/page2 I thought I would ask people to share their two-wheel drive car/van/cross-over offroad experiences to find a shortlist of decent two-wheel drive multi-purpose vehicles that can be used in daily life as well as shooting.

4x4's are too expensive to run, maintain, fuel and tax in my experience for the amount I actually use the extra capability. Even when I have had to use the extra capability it's was questionable as to whether the conditions were actually suitable to take any vehicle on the land! 4x4's do give good height, but so do many taller cars these days, as do vans - so bring on your experiences and let us know how they fair. In todays economic climate of penny pinching we're all watching the mpg - which an off-road semi-capable two-wheel drive should be able to deliver much better than a traditional 4x4.

As kids we used to run all sorts of field cars without the need for 4x4. In fact I would go so far as to say one of the best offroaders I have owned was a VW Beetle! Many cars are just too low (or their radiators are - getting clogged with grass seeds!), but it'll be good to hear people's experiences as there are some reasonable machines out there with good approach/departure angles etc - they are just waiting for some better tyres and an experienced hand at the wheel!

Edit: Please note that I'm presently happy with the vehicles I have and am not looking to buy/sell any vehicles, nor am I facing any type of financial hardship - this is simply an interesting point that was starting to raise itself in a previous thread and I thought it would be good to have it's own space for future reference.
    Last edited by Oly; 30-11-2010 at 15:22.

I can only speak about the land I shoot and stalk on (home counties farmland and woodland) , but I'd never go near it with two wheel drive.

I'm fortunate and can afford a decent 4x4, but if I was strapped I'd be inclined to look for an old Landy, Defender SWB or possibly a Disco and keep that for shooting; and buy something small and cheap for day to day driving.

Sounds like a push bike might tick all your boxes.

Old Toyota Rav 4 with BIG off road tyres - costs NOTHING to buy, NOTHING to service, NOTHING to insure, and because it weighs,,,,guess what,,,NOTHING, it floats on top of mud/snow/etc.

just what you need mate....ps. when I say NOTHING,,,I 'do' mean..'a little'

a old rover 218 sd a heavy and wide car with m/s tyres, i go any wear i have got chains but never used them at this time, mud and snow no prob/s,but then again i was a long distance driver for many years ,if you think the old tractors were two wheel drive/s i just have to use my head sometimes, lol atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by Neill View Post
    I can only speak about the land I shoot and stalk on (home counties farmland and woodland) , but I'd never go near it with two wheel drive.

I'm fortunate and can afford a decent 4x4, but if I was strapped I'd be inclined to look for an old Landy, Defender SWB or possibly a Disco and keep that for shooting; and buy something small and cheap for day to day driving.
    Been there, done that...4x4's were just an expensive pain, even when money isn't an issue - it's just like burning £5 notes ! I'm fortunate in that most of my land is all well drained and any gradient is gently sloped. Most good vans or taller cars do the job more than adequately 95% of the time - the other 5% of the time the farmers wouldn't want me on the land with any vehicle...hence the question really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    Sounds like a push bike might tick all your boxes.
    I'd like to see your two-wheel driven push bike...sounds interesting!!

Before we moved on to pick-ups, a friend ran a Grand Vitara for years. Took us all round the forestry in all weather. His was the 5 door model just before the current one. I know they have been referred to as hairdressers cars but they have genuine off road ability with a low box to boot. His was a petrol but given the choice I think I would go for a diesel for the low down grunt. There is no doubt if I was on a restricted budget it's what I would go for.

I think Berlingos were mentioned on the other thread?

I run a small fleet of them in our business and use the 2nd generation Multispace, (the one before the current model), for virtually all my driving. Economical, very reliable, loads of internal room and cubby 'oles, a plasterer's bath goes in lengthways if one of more of the rear seats are dropped, and the 2ltr DI engine has a fair amount of poke. The seating, front and rear, is very upright and comfortable and you can do some miles without fatigue - Devon/Newcastle/Devon in a day was achievable without tooooo much hassle.

But, if you decide you need a small dual purpose 4x4 have a look at the Renault Kangoo Trekka - or for a dedicated shooting vehicle, one of the ex-local authority 4x4 vans that come up for sale from time to time..
    Last edited by Orion; 30-11-2010 at 14:11.

Your spot on Orion, Berlingo's are great multi-use vehicles, as are their sister Partners & Kangoos. Never been sure of the reliability of French cars - but love van based cars, very versatile...although as mentioned, not very exciting!

I know they are good offroad too, with a cousin of mine using one on his farm after realising that a Landy, as well as a car and tractors was just a waste of money! The tractors deal with the heavy stuff and the Berlingo flies round the fields 90% of the year with no trouble as well as doing the domestic jobs! As such, to be honest, I think the 4x4 system in a Trekka is just over the top for what is costs - in the initial purchase, plus your fuel bill!

I think one of the reasons why the van based cars are good off road is their slightly higher ride height plus their wheel on the edge of each corner makes for good approach/departure angles. Not sure how high the air intake is for wading though...

An old 'keeper freind when i was a kid warned me "never go to the hill with your slippers on" and a BERLINGO is the Hush Puppy of the slipper world... unless you love walking home at 3am buy a Defender with decent tyres... What a stupid idea a van is when we have 14" of snow here at the moment.