Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: members generosity and this site in general WOW!!

members generosity and this site in general WOW!!

ive been a member o this site for we while now...after being a member of loads of other forums over time

each of the other forums always has bickering or the like on it and it ends up just pissing you off.

now i posted on a thread here the other day asking for advice on something and as usual got excellent response.....

but to go one further i had a pm form a gentleman on this forum whom had exactly what i needed / wanted after giving up the calibre but holding onto quite alot of items worth a bit o cash!!

straight of off the bat this gentleman says i no longer need it i dont want anything for it id rather it went to another SD member who can get use of it....!!!!!!!!
    now i offered a bottle...doesnt drink...i offered money for his childs piggy bank? grown up!
    so i have made a donation to H4H
    and what can i say????? offers of generosity like this do not come along very often these days and it heartens me to see it
    so again a big thank you to you know whom you are on here
    and another thank you to all on here who make SD what it is

all the best
    sauer / paul

Yeah, this kind of restores your faith in human nature doesn't it!

I too have been the recipient of peoples generosity from this site, having been invited stalking by a couple of really generous decent folks. I have also tried to keep in the spirit of this by issuing a couple of invitations and giving away a die I no longer needed to a chap who wanted one.

Having been a member of several other forums over the years, I have settled here, and feel fortunate to have been allowed to do so. The information sharing, knowledge sharing and gentle banter makes a pleasant change from the numbskull bragging found on some other forums.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    ive been a member o this site for we while now...after being a member of loads of other forums over time

each of the other forums always has bickering or the like on it and it ends up just pissing you off.

now i posted on a thread here the other day asking for advice on something and as usual got excellent response.....

but to go one further i had a pm form a gentleman on this forum whom had exactly what i needed / wanted after giving up the calibre but holding onto quite alot of items worth a bit o cash!!

straight of off the bat this gentleman says i no longer need it i dont want anything for it id rather it went to another SD member who can get use of it....!!!!!!!!
    now i offered a bottle...doesnt drink...i offered money for his childs piggy bank? grown up!
    so i have made a donation to H4H
    and what can i say????? offers of generosity like this do not come along very often these days and it heartens me to see it
    so again a big thank you to you know whom you are on here
    and another thank you to all on here who make SD what it is

all the best
    sauer / paul
    quite right ,

i the other day was sent a new set of ruger mounts for my m77 mk2 by a member who didnt want them , and even refused to accept postage costs !

it just shows their are still some kind and generous folk left in this world !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I do agree this seems to be one of the more friendly forums. I think perhaps it just has a good number of decent members?

It's not just forums, the whole world works this way. There are a great many people who are willing to give away nothing and I find it sad, but it does make the good guys stand out. Today I bumped into a chap in his sixties trying to grit his whole road from the grit bins. Several cars attempted the hill out and failed as he hadn't got even half of it done, so just buggered off back in the house! He was walking up and down with shovels full of grit - must have taken him hours! Being a Landy driver I was fine, drove in down the ice and got on with the job - I didn't even notice him! As we were unloading the truck I was watching him - up and down, up and down....

I jumped in the truck and me and my lad drove over to the grit bin and shovelled half a bin of salt onto the back, all the time my lad mutterring that things are tight at the moment and this wasn't going to pay his wages! I drove up the road to where the old chap had got to and finished off the whole hill for him in what, ten minutes? He was dead chuffed, his wife needed to get to an appointment and it didn't look like he was going to be able to make it in time. Well as it turned out now she could! The old chap was really pleased and thanked us for our help which was more than enough to make it worthwhile.

Anyway later on he dropped by with tea and mince pies, and guess who was the first to jump on that? My lad who would quite happily have left the old chap to it if I hadn't have given the orders! I quietly tutted to myself. What with him and the neighbours all quite happy to turn a blind eye it seems there aren't so many good apples in the world as there used to be?

This sort of thing shouldn't be seen as great, it should be the way things always are. All the money in the world couldn't make me feel the way I do when I spend a moment of my time helping someone out. I was going to add "for nothing" to the end of that last sentence but it's not for nothing is it? It makes you and whoever you're helping feel good.

I agree with all the above.
    I received an email tonight with attached plans for a wooden highseat. Thanks John.
    I think the shooting community are full of good uns, mostly on SD.

Bryan.

Same here ! Teckel ( Ron ) has invited me on a couple of ocations to his shoot, and drove me down to BENC`s for my first Roe.

Good lads ( and Lasses ) on the site. If at any time i get luky and manage to get a shoot for myself they will be the first invited. And i will certanly give any newbies any help i can.

ATB

Steve

Nice to hear that the members on this site are so giving and helpfull, makes it seem all worth while building the site up and keeping troublemakers off.

A good cause to support H4H, and well done to the kind member who helped you out, good man.

Best

Sikamalc

Talking road gritting - my daughter and husband got out there and began clearing the road from their street. In the end some others got a bit ashamed and came out to help but the majority further down in the cul-de-sac ignored them.

Now the selfish ones have snow to the top of their wheel arches and are immobilised - They are young folks too ! whilst the rest of the road can come and go.

Two years ago before I had my stent job done and I was getting pretty jiggered with angina, I sanded a road up a steep hill some 200 yards long in order to get the van up there as my wife and I had an appointment.

After it was completed a nearby neighbour sailed up it with his 4X4. 'Nice one Dell-boy !

We seem to have sunk into an age of materialism and it brings out the negative side of people. I'll sometimes test someone to see if they are willing to give an inch, and if they will I'll give the mile. If they don't - then I'm just not 'Christian' enough to allow myself to be used as I once did. I came from a culture where you'd be killing yourself hauling a boat over the shingle - then suddenly the weight would go and there were others hauling it with you, It's a warm feeling.

I've noted the general kindness on this site - and willingness to share the results of practical experience.
    Good on you.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.