Steiner binoculars

DC .270

Good morning all,

As some of you will have seen - I've been looking into possibly upgrading to a pair of decent binos.

Do any of you have pros and cons for the Steiner range?

Thanks,

DC

I have a pair of the Ranger Pro 10x42 and I think they are great value.
Crystal clear optics, great at low light levels, I just cannot see how Swarovski etc can be better value at £1000 more than these.
Well worth the money, you won't be dissapointed.

Yes you will.... my mate paid £600 for a pair of Steiners and compared to EL's they are toys. Horrible in the hand and useless in low light IMO.

got a pair of their military and marine 8x30 cant fault them picked them up for £105 posted from york guns

greenshoots

My stalking partner has a pair of Steiners 8x 30 he thinks they are great he paid i thinh £360 for them on a special deal

I have looked at them as far as I can see nothing wrong with them and they certainly do the job.

8X30's ..???

How do they perform at low light levels? 30mm seems rather small also 8X30 only gives you a LTF of 3.75

8X30's ..???

How do they perform at low light levels? 30mm seems rather small also 8X30 only gives you a LTF of 3.75

Dont really know as it was late morning when I had a look through them but they appeared OK , I will ask him what the performance is like evening and early morning.
regards
Stu

Have you got something to compare it against that is of equal or better performance.

Zeiss, Swaro , Leica?

last pair i looked through where **** get minox for the extra ... or get swavos you only buy once get the best ..

mate had a plastic eyepiece fall off, returned it and had an awful problem getting them fixed/repaired. after 3month got his money back and bought a nice pair of swaros. (which he left on the hill!) long drive back and he found them!

had a pair of Steiner skyhawk for bout 5 years now and cant fault them for the money!!!

8x42 skyhawk i have been excellent bino for the cash and ergonomically excellent with fast focus wheel and excellent eye cups etc

lost an eye cup after 2 years then phoned uk supplier and new one sent out immediately no charge

would have another pair in a heart beat

think mine were 300 quid but seen them for around £320
http://www.sherwoods...ner_skyhawk.htm

bought from here would use them again
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/

sauer

I've got steiner 8x42 bino's, great in low light even compared to my Z6i scope, no difference IMO.
But I will say that the build quality isn't that great, one eye cup keeps falling off, tried to contact them with a view to getting replacements that might stay on better - but they never got back to me. Also the flip covers on the front are removable - both locking clips have broken so they covers can slide out if not too careful.
The two issues I've encountered are not a problem now as I've adapted things to suit, but shouldn't need to really. Value for money all the same.

I had a pair of 7x50 marine they were OK but I have an issue with my eyes in dusk conditions plus being then 56 yo so I went for some zeiss 8x56s and the difference was very dicernable I could see another 10-15 minutes at dusk.
My buddy runs a German gun shop and he told me Steiner have different coatings on the lenses between marine and jagd versions so I sold mine on at a fair price.
I have some Steiner militatry 8x30s I bought as I began stalking also but I prefer my Hertel & Reuss 8x30s as they are of much higher quality, maybe it is to do with Steiner using makralon bodies instead of alloy.
Martin

Back