Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE.....Can anyone recommend a suitable night vision rifle scope ???

Account Suspended

HELP PLEASE.....Can anyone recommend a suitable night vision rifle scope ???

Hiya Guys,

I want a decent night vision scope to fit on my .243 for night shooting.

I will be after foxes and rabbits up to 200yds and need a good NV set up that is up to the job.

Reliability and good clarity at 200yds are the essential criteria.

What can you recommend ???

Unless you have the top range military equipment, I wouldn't bother with it, I haven't seen anything that isn't overly heavy, or with the required clarity @ 200yds in the civvie market yet........... I haven't found the lamp detrimental to fox shooting in the many years using one. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    While I tend to agree with the Hon. Finnbear in the wider sense, I have used a Cobra Merlin with great effectiveness just recently on a range of rifles. One of the shortfalls of a pure NV historically has (amongst other things) been suitable magnification. The benefit of the Merlin is that it attaches to your day scope and uses that magnification. Additionally, you're not continually re-zeroing or needing a dedicated night rifle. On the downside you're set back on the stock because of the extension, but it's not unworkable. The other benefits (for me) are: it's light, has a good designator (additional one purchased - but pencil thin/light and good for well over 200 yds), cost less than 500 and allows me to swap it between rifles easily. Oh, and I can use it on it's own as a monocular. It would be easy of course to argue it's jack of all trades and master of none, but attached to a quality day scope, I'd say it was a good option - especially if you're shooting on your own.

As alternatives, Archer do a later Gen one for a lot more money. Dedicated scope-wise the Pulsar Digivision is getting good reviews at the moment (995) - although magnification is down (5x).

I'd be happy to try and sort a demo of the Merlin for you (somehow) - like all these things, it'll be your personal preference and budget etc.

Are you really going to shoot rabbits with a 243?!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Eric, I must thank you most graciously for your elevation of myself to the house!, seriously though, without a very big influx of the folding stuff, what benefit can night vision equipment have,over a lamp in the hands of experienced riflemen?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    I have used a lightforce 140 lance for over 6 months now and whenever the light goes on now the rabbits dart for cover. I have literally shot 100's of them and want a new line of attack.

As for the .243 for rabbits, well the rifle isnt for rabbits especially, but if I see them when I am out looking for charlie, they get it too. The extra weight in the round also gives me a better BC and wind resistance over 200yds too for the longer range shots.

ive got a brand new starlight archer unit with a quatum firefly on it that would do the trick PM me if your intrested

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    I have used a lightforce 140 lance for over 6 months now and whenever the light goes on now the rabbits dart for cover. I have literally shot 100's of them and want a new line of attack.

As for the .243 for rabbits, well the rifle isnt for rabbits especially, but if I see them when I am out looking for charlie, they get it too. The extra weight in the round also gives me a better BC and wind resistance over 200yds too for the longer range shots.
    Night vision gear AND a 243 for rabbits?

You have too much money
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

One of the best nv sight I have seen in action is the one shoot has on here a military spec kite maxi gen 3 . I have been searching for one for months, being a military item these are very hard to find and cost a small fortune.

Robbosam, unless you are prepared to spend big money on gen 3 optics I wouldn't bother, I've got a gen1 ATN airies x2.5 mag with IR illuminator which is good out to 25 yds and can see the body of the prey, after that out to 35yds you can see eye reflections, probably further with rabbits but no body form, I use mine for ratting on an Air Arms TDR 12 ft lbs probably the the lightest of the PCP air rifles and it's excellent, the scope weighs in at 3.5 lbs. I was going to phone NVG UK today to have a word with Carl Smith about an LIR80 /100 illuminator to see if it will give me a better range, it says in the write up it's good out to 200 yds depending on whether it's 1st 2nd or third generation, knowing my luck it'll probably give me another 20 yds, and at 140+ it'll be a dear 20 yds, at least Carl will tell me exactly what I can expect to get distance wise, I bought my ATN 2 years ago for 325 but I've noticed that there's been a helluva price rise, hope this helps somewhat....callie

SD Regular
    @Callie - I agree the inbuilt ones are not that....er....useful, the additional's are. I have this one - Cobra Optics 75mW IR Illuminator for DSA and EX DSA at Uttings.co.uk - and it is good for 200yds easily. The beauty is that you can focus the beam to quite a tight spot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

@Finnbear - just tugging a forelock to one of the more senior members of the forum, acknowledging at the same time my relative lack of experience in these things in comparison! Perhaps you can give some tips on lamp shy creatures and how we can be a little less heavy handed with a lamp in the future. I suspect I have overlamped my ground - and when getting back into it forgot the rule of only lamping where you can shoot (rather than scanning too far ahead).

@Robbobsam - I completely understand where you are coming from on lamp shy - it's why I went the NV route. It adds another dimension and in my case has been an excellent investment, without dedicating a rifle to it. Offer to test still open.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........