130 & 150gn speerBT's in 270

User00014

just wondered if anyone has used these bullets ?

ive ordered a 100 of each to try and just wondered what their like , particularly with N560 !

cheers lee

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Lee,

I've tried both. I chronographed the Speer SP, Hornady Sp, and Sierra SP (all 130gr) but with N160... ending up at 55.0grs at 2960FPS. All at the same trial session, and there was no difference in MV's between the different bullets. They need different seating depths because their ogives vary (the Speer was the 'bluntest' so needed to be seated deepest). The Sierra was the most accurate, but the others weren't far behind.

I've seen N560 shot in a .25/06 and .270, and it's lively with a pronounced muzzle flash. I wasn't the only one to notice this... some remarked what a good flame thrower the rifle was. :D
That's all I know...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Lee,

I've tried both. I chronographed the Speer SP, Hornady Sp, and Sierra SP (all 130gr) but with N160... ending up at 55.0grs at 2960FPS. All at the same trial session, and there was no difference in MV's between the different bullets. They need different seating depths because their ogives vary (the Speer was the 'bluntest' so needed to be seated deepest). The Sierra was the most accurate, but the others weren't far behind.

I've seen N560 shot in a .25/06 and .270, and it's lively with a pronounced muzzle flash. I wasn't the only one to notice this... some remarked what a good flame thrower the rifle was. :D
That's all I know...

thanks for that , i plan to drive them to about 2800fps which should do the job nicely , using the 150's for general stalking and the 130's in scotland , where i might need a longer shot (200 yds plus)

cheers lee

I have shot hundreds of deer with the Speer 130gr Spitzer BT bullet, Ref. No.1458.
In my Carl Gustaf they are very accurate and I have had NO complaints of excess carcase damage from the game-dealer.
I have also found the Speer Spitzer 130gr flat-base bullet, Ref. No.1459 to be good but it is always easier to seat a BT than a flat-base when re-loading.
The Hornady Spire-point 140gr also is very accurate in my C.G. and prints about one inch higher on the target when charged in the same manner using the same ingredients.
I similarly used the 150gr Speer BT Ref. No.2022 with great success in my .30/06 days too.
My .270 load may suit your purpose also, I have dropped Reds with it to 200yds with no problems. For work on the mountain I normally set the rifle to shoot two inches high at 100 yards.
HWH.
270loadforCGjpg-4.jpg

My .270 loves the Speer 130gr with 59gr of H4831. There isn't much of a difference - not one that I can make out (other than price)- between the speer and noslers with this load in my rifle.

I've never had a chronograph but if I sight in at about 1.5 - 2" high at 100yards it strikes almost bob on at 200yards. Yet to test at longer ranges. I may never get around to that.

Good luck with it.

Back