Tikka M55 as donor action?

Claret_Dabbler

Guys, I have been looking around for an action to build a 22/250 on (or maybe a 22x47 Lapua).

I have been offered a Tikka M55 at the right price.

It is maybe 30 years old, currently a 243win in well used condition, though it is not a total scrapper. I could probably live with the stock for a while if I couldn't get a McMillan right away.

Any thoughts on this rifle as the donor for a new build?

The 55 and 65 actions are very sought-after by custom rifle builders. Speak to Bowers, Kershaw, Groom etc. for confirmation.

The stock is one the best parts, don't get rid of it as I will take it off you.

I think it's begging for a full on 6mmBR job, our mutual friend is getting un-bearable about his and after shooting a 2" group at 600 yards with at Bisley on Sunday I can understand why.

We plan to neck some rabbits at range with it next, small donation to charity for misses.

Failing that I don't know what a man with a 22-250 and 260 would do with a short action?

The .22x47 is interesting but you may as well get the wind bucking ability of a high BC bullet if you are aiming for accuracy in the rifle, otherwise the inherent accuracy will be hard to realise in the field.

Kevin, that is good to know. Was sort of thinking Kershaw for this build.

Amir, I think this might replace the 22/250 Blaser barrel. I will keep the metrosexual rifle for travelling with the 30/06 barrel.

Unfortunately the polis over here will only license 22 CF's for vermin, so any 6mm is out for this project. I would probably go with a 8 or 9 twist, whatever is enough to stablise a 70gr bullet. I do not need a massive amount of velocity, I would just has soon have the high BC bullets.

Wondering if a McMillan for the 595 action will also fit the 55? Would certainly make things easier.

This will be built to a heavy sporter / light varmint weight. Lets say under 10lb all up with a scope and moderator. No F Class rifles for me.

Is the good doctor's 6br one of those AR lookalike things with a conventional bolt action? I have sort of lost track of his boy's toys.

Last edited:
Brian

As I think you know, I have an M55 in .308 which I had fitted with a Border barrel last year - it shoots very well indeed, and the riflesmith who did the job said it was a very tight action (it started out in life with a varmint barrel if that helps). Mine is still in its original (wooden) stock - I'd be interested to know if you find a synthetic that fits without too much modification. I've exchanged some e-mails with edi on this site (ejg), but he doesn't have anything for that action right now. Shame, because what he does make look really good.

Andrew

Kevin, that is good to know. Was sort of thinking Kershaw for this build.

Amir, I think this might replace the 22/250 Blaser barrel. I will keep the metrosexual rifle for travelling with the 30/06 barrel.

Unfortunately the polis over here will only license 22 CF's for vermin, so any 6mm is out for this project. I would probably go with a 8 or 9 twist, whatever is enough to stablise a 70gr bullet. I do not need a massive amount of velocity, I would just has soon have the high BC bullets.

Wondering if a McMillan for the 595 action will also fit the 55? Would certainly make things easier.

This will be built to a heavy sporter / light varmint weight. Lets say under 10lb all up with a scope and moderator. No F Class rifles for me.

Is the good doctor's 6br one of those AR lookalike things with a conventional bolt action? I have sort of lost track of his boy's toys.

:D Yes, the Katie Price of rifles is better suited to the 3006 and as a traveling gun methinks.

I took the our friend, the bosche, to Bisley on Sunday and he couldn't resist a crack at 600 yards with 243. He didn't do too badly for a 19" sporter barrel by the way. I'm rather getting to like those crazy German rifles you know.....

It's a bugger that you can't get a 6mm, they shoot the pants off the .22s in the wind. It would certainly be interesting to see how the 70 grain stuff performs on game but I suspct that you might get a hankering for more speed at some point.

I'm not sure about the McMillian stock, if anything the good doctor is the man to ask about this. Perhaps pm KimR on AR about it as he seems to be an encyclopaedia of varmint shooting knowledge.

On that note the good doctor's latest is a BAT actioned Mcree stocked ISSF 300m look-a-like. It's a lovely thing but is set up so that anyone with normal cheekbones can't see through the scope!

The most remarkable thing about it is how quiet it is. It sounds quiter than a moderated 1 hmr.

i no there abit more but if you can get a m590 or m595 they will fit the mcmillan stock as you know.
i dont no if you have seen alans rifle on youtube otherwise known as sir slots alot.

he has a m590 tikka 22/250 in mcmillan stock, custom 1 in 9 twist barrel firing the 75 grain amax bullets at around 3360 fps with stunning accuacy and better bc then his 243 had with 87 grain vmax. its looks a superb rifle.

only downside from what i have seen of the guys from the usa using that set up is barrel life. 1000 to 1200 accurate rounds till it drops off abit. does look a superb tool thats for sure and the Ballistic Coefficient: of the 75 grain amax is 0.435

if you went faster twist still you could push the 90 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail with a Ballistic Coefficient of 0.525 !

Why not get a Custom 20 cal rifle built to shoot some 45-55gr bullets. the high BC and velocity means its going to be a real killer rifle :)

i no there abit more but if you can get a m590 or m595 they will fit the mcmillan stock as you know.
i dont no if you have seen alans rifle on youtube otherwise known as sir slots alot.

he has a m590 tikka 22/250 in mcmillan stock, custom 1 in 9 twist barrel firing the 75 grain amax bullets at around 3360 fps with stunning accuacy and better bc then his 243 had with 87 grain vmax. its looks a superb rifle.

only downside from what i have seen of the guys from the usa using that set up is barrel life. 1000 to 1200 accurate rounds till it drops off abit. does look a superb tool thats for sure and the Ballistic Coefficient: of the 75 grain amax is 0.435

if you went faster twist still you could push the 90 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail with a Ballistic Coefficient of 0.525 !

Well said Jay, a fast twist .22-250 with 75gr A-MAXes has the trajectory of a 7mm ultramag.

The more I think about it the harder it is to escape the logic of this post Brian. An A-max would certainly do the job on foxes.

Amir, I will definitely go with a fastish twist. I like the idea of 70gr at around 3300fps, down range trajectory should be impressive.

I am in no rush, I am will decide on a donor over the next month or two. I would ideally want a Sako 75 for a donor, but that makes things expensive. I will make a decision over Christmas.

Good plan Brian, though I don't understand the idea of not being in a rush as far as new rifles are concerned!:D

It might be hard to find a donor sako at sensible money, I know PierreD spent an age looking for one at less than basically the cost of the rifle but was frustrated for a long time.

I will ask the bloke who got me my Sako cheap ( it was more or less new and about 500 quid off list for a SS varmint 75 ), what sort of money would be reasonable?

Pm if you prefer.

A

Why not get a Custom 20 cal rifle built to shoot some 45-55gr bullets. the high BC and velocity means its going to be a real killer rifle :)

they are very good a couple of my mates have them and one of them is selling his at a superb price if anyone is intrerested.

a 20 isnt going to beat a 22/250 with fast twist and 75 grain bullet though ones the ranges start getting long.

and something like a 20 tac you would have to get the right twist to push heavier bullets like 55 grains bullets. but then it hasnt got the case capacity like a 22/250 so doesnt work as well with heavier bullets like a 22/250 would if you could get a good accurate load around 3300 fps with 75 grain amax that wouldnt be far off 2000 ftlb !

how the hell the 22/250 isnt roe deer legal here is silly it should be aloud for roe :doh:

Last edited:
What really ****es me off with factory 22/250 is the bloody slow twists.

My neighbour here has a Howa with a 14 twist. It was keyholing 55gr Barnes Varmint grenades at 30m. At 100m the "group" was 18" in diameter.

My Blaser is a 12 twist, it is very accurate with 50's and 55's, bloody useless with 60's. I don't need a 50gr doing 3900fps, I would rather have 3300 with a BC like a stair rod.

The 20tac is a nice idea. My local gundealer just had one done for himself, left handed Rem clone (Stiller I think), Border barrel and McMillan, seriously impressive, Kershaw smithed it. For me it is a "nice to have" if you already had a good 224 CF, I would not have one instead of a 22/250

What really ****es me off with factory 22/250 is the bloody slow twists.

My neighbour here has a Howa with a 14 twist. It was keyholing 55gr Barnes Varmint grenades at 30m. At 100m the "group" was 18" in diameter.

My Blaser is a 12 twist, it is very accurate with 50's and 55's, bloody useless with 60's. I don't need a 50gr doing 3900fps, I would rather have 3300 with a BC like a stair rod.

The 20tac is a nice idea. My local gundealer just had one done for himself, left handed Rem clone (Stiller I think), Border barrel and McMillan, seriously impressive, Kershaw smithed it. For me it is a "nice to have" if you already had a good 224 CF, I would not have one instead of a 22/250

sure your mates wasnt shooting the 55 grain Barnes Varmint grenades well because he was pushing them to much ? are they not abit like the speer tnt where they tell you to keep them below a set fps ? 3300 isnt it ?

Back