Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Fox

Lucky Fox

I live on a farm backing onto the hillside.
    Every winter I put out a carcass on the slope behind the house and knowing that foxes tend to put carcases down hill; I loop some fishing line from the carcass round a post & then down through the bedroom window. I then attach this to the pull cord above our bed. I then attach a fishing bite indicator bell to this. (I have a very understanding wife!)
    When the fox pulls on the bait (In this case a dead turkey) the bell sounds; I creep out the front the house & rest the 6.5 x 55 on the roof of the pre stationed car, turn on the lamp (not even neccesary in the snow) and a 95 Vmax is sent on its way.
    Last night my wife rang me to say that a fox was pulling on the bait as I was returning from lamping the lower fields. A sweep of the lamp did not reveal anything however and the line was still tight so I did not think that it had broken. Thinking that the line was still attached to the turkey I left it be. In the morning I found the 1/2 eaten turkey 1/2 way down the field. The line HAD broken but had snagged up on the post so had not gone slack. The fox had been there again in the night without me realising it. I am going to get some stronger fishing line today and will let you know how I get on tonight.

Suggest you invest in some braided line, no strech and extremly strong and thin ( 65 lb braid is same diea as 15lb mono). If you want some PM me and I might be able to find you some old stuff.

D

I'm loving the 'Wallace & Grommet'-esque arrangement you have devised for snotting foxes!!

Your wife must be a LOT more understanding than mine!

"So - just let me get this straight....you want fishing line, tied to a corpse, run through the bedroom window, attached to a bell that could wake me up at any time of the night, so that you can grab your rifle to shoot a fox?"

"Yes dear, that's right...."

"No f***in' chance....."

Good luck with the VERY lucky fox - let us know if you nail it.

ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

if you tie the line to your toe you wont need to wake the wife

Thanks for offer of braided line CYRES , but I have set up some shock line this afternoon.
    Lets see what tonight will bring. I shot 12 this way last winter.
    Its just like fishing with a 90 meter gaff & I do not have to eat the catch.I have been conditioned to respond to the bell like Pavlows dogs. The only thing is that I dream that the bell has gone off when it has not. I used to be this way when I was a junior Doctor on call with a bleep.

What not another fox killer.
    Be careful what you say on here! there are, would you believe MANY, DEER stalkers who frequent these pages. LOL
    And the best of luck tonight.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 02-12-2010 at 15:34.

any chance of any pictures please as i am intreaged,even sader you got me thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    Last night my wife rang me to say that a fox was pulling on the bait as I was returning from lamping the lower fields. A sweep of the lamp did not reveal anything however and the line was still tight so I did not think that it had broken. Thinking that the line was still attached to the turkey I left it be. In the morning I found the 1/2 eaten turkey 1/2 way down the field. .
    In the past I hav used a light weight pallet with a runner (pulley wheel) attached to it which had a 5 metre approx lock point from the bait on the fishing line
    the other end of the line was attached to a bite alarm inside the carvan I used to live in, when I was a trainee keeper
    placed the bait on the pallet and then the fox would take the bait , because it was free running for a few metres the fox did not seem to get to nervous and just sat and ate once it realised it could not pull it any further
    I could stick the rifle out of the window and flick on an already positioned lamp
    you knew the fox was going to be with in 5 metres of the pallet so you were already set up to shoot in the right direction before you flicked on a lamp
    this method also works well if using a shotgun, as you can sit up a tree or on a shed roof with the bait just a few metres away and instead of a bite alarm just tie the loose end tie to your leg
    I've shot a lot of foxes using this method in the past
    ATB

Used the same idea yrs ago durring lambing,even had a lamp set up out of the bedroom window, one night the bell was ringin like mad, dive out of bed, grab gun, lamp on, aim , only to see one of the farm cats chewing on the bait, also had badgers having a nibble.

Photo of unsporting darst'dly device Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox trap.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	3704 & of very understanding wife Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox trap 001.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	3705