Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Shooting Ban

Cold Weather Shooting Ban

Any word of this being introduced?

My father called in this morning. He says it is effective as of now in NI but I can't pick up any info on the web.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

From the BASC home page:

Seven consecutive days of widespread freezing conditions can trigger a call for shooters to consider voluntary restraint if waterfowl are struggling under difficult local conditions. Thirteen consecutive days of freezing weather can trigger a statutory suspension of waterfowl shooting taking effect at day fifteen. As of 1 December the situation is: England/Wales at day 5, Scotland at day 7 and Northern Ireland at day 7.
    Andrew

The 13 i shot this morning are plump and getting under the snow to eat the grass.... 2 more in the bag that had hit tho 40.000v bare power lines and blacked out eastern stirling.

Plucked and cooked in under 4 seconds, bet your missus thought you'd been to Sainburys and bought her a couple ready cooked geese ..lol
    There is a place for all gods creatures in this world, on my plates by the veggies and gravy

I wouldnt shoot woodcock yesterday, just my decision as its been freezing for so long and theyve not long arrived.

The pheasant and partridge had no excuse though
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

The ban extends to wildfowl and waders, but not game birds? Am I right in this?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

As far as I know yes, just wildfowl and waders.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

There has always been a unwritten rule amongst widlfowlers that after three days freeze they don't shoot ,and continue feeding where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    As far as I know yes, just wildfowl and waders.
    Don't forget it also applies to reared mallard (not suggesting you have forgotten, just highlighting!)

A quick look at the forecast suggests a statutory suspension is not far away, which will make life interesting on our shoot.

hi,

it makes sense really doesn't it.
    why shoot a bird with no meat on it.....
    3/4/5 days of inadequate eating will make it tough as old boots also
    shows we are not just blood thirsty people... and we care

atb frank