Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you folks

How do you folks

How do you folks square your scope to your rifle?

As you can see I go for the "bubble method", but this is only recently.

Before, I used to fit the scope loose and mount to shoulder and adjust till it looked upright and then tighten down the rings gently and check again.

I always try to keep the gap in the rings equal but it does not always turn out that way as if you pull down a fraction too much one side it always moves the scope, reticle not straight

With this method it seems to be "almost" right.

I was once told by a rifle smith that everyones shoulder sockets are different hence the reason when you shoulder another persons rifle the reticle looks on the p***

Whats your "foolproof method".

Apologies if this has been done to death before

ATB

Max

Max

I have struggled with this as well. I recently bought the following item:

Midwayuk - Wheeler Engineering Level-Level-Level Scope Crosshair Leveling Tool

Before that my approach was to level place the rifle on a table so that the underside of the action was resting on the table and the rifle was vertical. I then used a small level sat on the vertical turret as per your photo. Next time I will clamp the rifle in a Black & Decker workmate and try the new level level kit.

Rgds JCS

Set it roughly, nip up the grub screws, check again, fine tune, tighten screws.

If it LOOKS straight to me then thats all that matters.

What would happen if you spent all that time fannying around with bubbles and it LOOKED squint when you mounted the rifle in your shoulder? Would you move it?
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 02-12-2010 at 18:57.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Set it roughly, nip up the grub screws, check again, fine tune, tighten screws.

If it LOOKS straight to me than thats all that matters.

What would happen if you spent all that time fannying around with bubbles and it LOOKED squint when you mounted the rifle in your shoulder? Would you move it?
    you cant argue with that can you?

Thanks JCS,

The level on the action is part of the kit in the link.

Its a good kit but in the weather we are having at the moment I cant be arsed to set it up outside to get the 25yd required.

www.deadeye2.com/deadeye_precision_products_scope_leveler

I know your are right Dan but you can blame ecoman for making so anal, when he was down a month or so ago and he bemoaned my scope as not being straight

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Thanks JCS,

The level on the action is part of the kit in the link.

Its a good kit but in the weather we are having at the moment I cant be arsed to set it up outside to get the 25yd required.

www.deadeye2.com/deadeye_precision_products_scope_leveler

I know your are right Dan but you can blame ecoman for making so anal, when he was down a month or so ago and he bemoaned my scope as not being straight
    A pal of mine also thinks my scope is squint.

Who cares? Its mine!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    A pal of mine also thinks my scope is squint.

Who cares? Its mine!
    Tell him its his shoulder socket

hi,

placing the level on the scope top will not give you a level scope imho
    how can you get a level of a the azimuth adjustment barrel
    its a moving part that may not be straight itself.

imho the best way is ideally done with two peeps..

what to do is sit the rifle on a stable platform ideally a vice
    once the scope is mounted sit it as straight as you can whilst no 2 is viewing from the front looking back at you.
    then using both parties set it up straight.

imho it works for me and am open to other ways.

atb frank

Frank makes a good point above. Plus small beads are'nt very accurate because of their size.

I must admit i'm in Dan's camp and it doesnae really bother me as long as shoots straight.

Could u not mount in ur shoulder and with the scope looseish either line the vertical cross hairs in line with something vertically plumb ie corner of wall or a plumb line. U could also do the same with the horz crosshairs aggainst a level wall head or fence as long as they are level. Never tried either of above but in theory should give u a beter idea of level or atleast wot looks visually level through ur scope.

I set the gun in a nice steady vice ensuring it is perfectly level and point it towards the wall, i then hang a plump line from the wall and adjust the crosshair to level the plump line, this way you can ensure crosshairs are level with the gun and not level with the top turret cap, just incase there is a slight miss alignment fom top turret cap and crosshairs.

ATB
    Dave

sorry must of been typing the same time as the last post.
    Last edited by 223; 02-12-2010 at 18:59. Reason: slow at typing