Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox Shooting Calendar

Fox Shooting Calendar

Evening all,

I'm interested in how you structure your fox control throughout the year. Do you lamp all year round? Do you try different shooting tactics at different times of the year? Do you vary your snaring/trapping throughout the year?

Hard on them during the autumn/winter months but after the cubs arrive leave them alone. I don't like the thought of starving cubs to death.
    Lamp, early morning trips out and snares. Early morning trips can be the most effective.

totally agree gazza spot on in my opinion
    regards pete .

i will lamp all year round, i do admire the above posters tho for stoping when cubs are about but i think very few cubs will starve tho as i stand by that vixens are a totally differnt animal when cubs are about and are very hard to catch out as the will up tail and run to the slightest upset, i know that dogs stil get shot but a vixen can feed a litter of cubs on her own without any problems. one thing i will make sure of tho through out the year is we always lamp the same night as anyone cuts grass or crops even if its only one feild we still go out

sir lamp alot
    so what happens when you shoot one full of milk clearly with cubs about
    that will starve to death .
    gone are the days of cymag when a full time keeper who knows his ground
    like the back of his hand could find the earth and deal humanely with the cubs
    so many of us are off to work early the next day after a nights lamping and probably
    not have a clue where the earths are anyway .

I have chosen to lay off for the last five years now but everybody to there own
    ATB pete .

Some people curl the lip when they realise I shoot those little chocolate coloured fella's on the edge of the earth.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Some people curl the lip when they realise I shoot those little chocolate coloured fella's on the edge of the earth.
    im with you shoot them all year if i shoot a vixen in milk then ill be out morning noon and night checking earths to make sure i get the cubs as well

I shoot them all year round as I have a job to do for farmers. If you are a recreational foxer then 'stopping' is fine! Just means more for me- LOL

Lamp all year round,snare when you have the cover,and a few fox drives helps keep the numbers down,as for cubs,they grow into big ginger things with a bushy tail and big teeth.
    Atb John.

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    im with you shoot them all year if i shoot a vixen in milk then ill be out morning noon and night checking earths to make sure i get the cubs as well
    Tell me swatty, How many miles can a fox travel from it's earth in one trip out? Assuming you give me the right answer you would have to be out morning noon and night to find the correct fox hole for the vixen you have shot. What happens when the fox hole is not even on your ground. And how many do you know that can properly deal with a fox hole.

As for being a recreational foxer firsttimer you jest. I am often out 7 days a week. The landy in the avatar is not for fun and no complaints for landowners I do work for. If you can do a proper job during Autumn and the winter months there won't be too many litters anyway. I just see no reason to starve a litter of cubs to death when I can easily take care of them above ground and as long as I get no reports of a specific problem during my stoppage period (never happened yet) I'm happy.