Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22lr Kills biggest land predator.

Account Suspended

.22lr Kills biggest land predator.

Just found this on an American hunting website.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ar-kill-54763/

Incredible !!!

As the forum responses stated, many butchers here use a 22LR to put down cattle and hogs. The butcher I was working with this week shot three extremely large hogs with his Marlin 39 lever gun and Aguila 40 grain HV from a distance of 10 to 15 yards. All three down in about 10 seconds.~Muir

Makes slotting the local chicken killing fox look pretty tame.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    As the forum responses stated, many butchers here use a 22LR to put down cattle and hogs. The butcher I was working with this week shot three extremely large hogs with his Marlin 39 lever gun and Aguila 40 grain HV from a distance of 10 to 15 yards. All three down in about 10 seconds.~Muir
    I'll second that, .22lr to the cranium of pigs and sheep.... Plenty gun. Although, professional slaughtermen tell me nothing slows down a captive bolt like pig fat.

Maybe that's why Boar carry lead so well...

How many polar bears have been wounded by .22 bullets I wonder????

Because he is a "native" then it's all rustic and cool.

If he were an oil baron out for the skin he'd get slated!

Funny how some people think .22 - Polar Bear - wow!!!
    .222 - Roe Deer or Muntjack - disgracefull?????????

Did he have a trained Bear dog? PBsc level 2? Out of season ticket?

What would have happened if he had just put a hole in it's lug?

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    How many polar bears have been wounded by .22 bullets I wonder????

Because he is a "native" then it's all rustic and cool.

If he were an oil baron out for the skin he'd get slated!

Funny how some people think .22 - Polar Bear - wow!!!
    .222 - Roe Deer or Muntjack - disgracefull?????????

Did he have a trained Bear dog? PBsc level 2? Out of season ticket?

What would have happened if he had just put a hole in it's lug?

I guess the Polar bear would have been "licking his lips"

Two sides to this one Bambislayer. It could be a 'native' taking the mickey out of the law because he IS one of the minority group - and getting away with it, or he could be a native using the only tool he has for maintaining a subsistence life of which very few of us will ever experience. (Thank goodness).

Wounding a bear usualy creates a response, and unless the bear is startled the gamble is - will it head in the direction of vengeance or will it disappear ?

Whatever way, it's a hell of a gamble and another form of Russian roulette unless the hunter was sure of himself and his technique and willing to risk his life - OR - he was just plain nuts.

Maybe that guy's father or grandfather was doing the same job with a spear and a .22lr is a big step up the line in technology.

I don't like the resulting news fallout from such things as it gets seized by the idiots - who think it's 'cool' - as-well-as those to whom it's just another working day. I sympathise with what I believe you are on about, but perhaps the reality of the incident is mundane and has nothing to do with the resulting hype.

But then - you'll always get brainless thuggery and lets hope that there are no gung-ho, Hooray Henry editions in the North American scene who will poke .22'a out of a snowtrack window, shoot into the wildlife and just drive off.

It brings to mind that semi-tame stag which frequented the caravan snack bar by the tourist stopping point on the South side of Rannoch Moor.

Some absolute moronic B*****ds shot a load of airgun pellets into that poor creature's head and it was found dying in the ditch the next morning. My feelings on that defy description.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Theres a video on youtube somewhere of that green laser thingy I think called an ND3 or NR3 and the guy using it shoots a wild boar with a .17HMR!

There is a Highland Cow skull on the wall in the lunch hut on a shoot I go to sometimes. Embedded into the rim of the eye-socket is a .243 bullet. It obviously did not kill the animal and it was shot again with a bigger round. This all took place years ago. The long-winded version is not necessary but suffice to say that about 3mm lower would have resulted in the death of that animal as the bullet would have probably entered the brain through the eye-socket.

It really is a case of getting the bullet in the right place. I would have to assume that with the polar bear the bullet entered the skull through the ear canal.

I friend of mine used to tell me that on his dad's farm when shooting injured pigs, a .22 would often bounce off the skull as it was so hard (again this was a long time ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I'll second that, .22lr to the cranium of pigs and sheep.... Plenty gun. Although, professional slaughtermen tell me nothing slows down a captive bolt like pig fat.

Maybe that's why Boar carry lead so well...
    \
    I will say one thing though. I won't go as far as to say these hogs were all dead after the shot. They were bleeding out within minutes though.

AS to the bear shot, from what I know of polar bears (which is damn little) they are an aggressive lot. If he was that close and shooting from behind, he was probably ambushing a marauding bear. Polar bears will often come through villages and military outposts. Perhaps he was making due with his only tools. In which case... damned fine work. JMHO. ~Muir