Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the any difference in Management and Stalking

Account Suspended

Is the any difference in Management and Stalking

Wild Deer as against Park deer or captivated deer
    and what Role should be in your view your part in deer managment and wildlife program?

Views please and please NO PERSONAL REMARKS each and everyone is entitled to his or her own point of view without being personally abused.

Hi.

i see no real point in starting a new thread for this stu,
    seems its going ok and is remaining civil on the other one...

atb f

There is in my book... Although I can see the need for deer park management and the attraction for rich businessmen a virtually guaranteed way to bag a trophy stag, I much prefer to be 'out on the hill' at one with nature and the elements. For me that is all the more enjoyable and is what I consider 'stalking' as opposed to just shooting.
    Each to their own, like you say
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Wild Deer as against Park deer or captivated deer
    Captivated??? Definition: To attract and hold by charm, beauty, or excellence. I presume you mean captive?

Yes there is a difference between management and stalking. To paraphrase, deer management seeks to manage the population of deer in an attempt to balance the differing uses demanded from an area of land. Deer stalking is the activity by which we approach and cull deer and put them into the food chain.

I have only ever stalked wild deer, though down here in the soft South I think you could sometimes classify deer as "semi-wild", given the amount of human disturbance and restraints on their movement.

I have had numerous conversations with managers of deer parks which has convinced me that their role, whilst different, is every bit as demanding. Unlike our stalking of deer in the wild they have to give as much, if not more, consideration to the welfare of the herd during culling as they do to the individual deer.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

In my view, the difference between deer stalking and deer management is:

Deer stalking is largely an art! The art of using fieldcraft in order to outwit a deer in it's natural environment.

Deer management incorporates the art, but it is largely a science.

The contrast is the difference between the person who can actively go out and stalk a deer, ....... and the person who can go out and stalk a deer, the correct deer, know the reasons why that particular deer is being stalked and culled, know the consequences of that cull, and the likely results of NOT doing it.

That is the difference according to me!!!

Mike
    (Jelen Deer Services) www.jelendeer.com

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Stu

Apologies, but I think I abbreviated the question. Presumably it is "Is there any difference in Management and Stalking Wild Deer as against Park deer or captivate deer?"

If so, my answer would be "No" in terms of the general governing principals, but "Yes" in terms of the practice.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Stu

Apologies, but I think I abbreviated the question. Presumably it is "Is there any difference in Management and Stalking Wild Deer as against Park deer or captivate deer?"

If so, my answer would be "No" in terms of the general governing principals, but "Yes" in terms of the practice.

willie_gunn
    Your correct but I note you havent offered any views in respect to the wildlife program which was part of my question and what part do you think you should play into all or any, and what it encompasses as a wildlife manager.
    Thanks Stu

Park deer have only a few variables so are easier to manage. Wild deer have lots of variables and most stalkers shoot deer only the luckie few manage them. PS wild deer are harder to stalk as they have freedom and can move as they please. But if you make a mistake in your managment plan nature will normally make amends for you to some degree .With wild deer if you mess up it will cost you big time.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Park deer have only a few variables so are easier to manage. Wild deer have lots of variables and most stalkers shoot deer only the luckie few manage them. PS wild deer are harder to stalk as they have freedom and can move as they please. But if you make a mistake in your managment plan nature will normally make amends for you to some degree .With wild deer if you mess up it will cost you big time.
    Interesting point of view David one I agree with but would you care to expand a little on what your views are as to why it will cost you big time.
    I will give my views later
    Regards
    Stu

i think the only big difference is that if you cock up the park deer they are there for another day as they have limited access to new ground
    true wild deer can disappear if you miss/spook them.
    deer in built up areas are therefore by definition captive although it would have to be used loosly

f..