Thread: 6.5 x 55 Boar

6.5 x 55 Boar

I saw a thread on here a while back saying Devon Police (i think) were possibly granting 6.5 x 55 for wild boar now? Is this correct and has anybody got either a 6.5 or smaller granted for wild boar?

Yes it was dealt with in this thread in the Wild Boar section:

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?14302-Approval-of-all-deer-legal-calibres-for-boar!

It was all a bit vague and was reflected this mention in the published minutes of the May meeting of their Firearms Liaison Committee meeting:

"The meeting was advised that DEFRA‟s recommendation was for .270 to be used on Wild Boar. This was to have been raised at the National Conference, which has now been cancelled. However the meeting was advised that applicants should apply for cover on all lawful animals and should ask for .243 for Wild Boar. If an applicant has a calibre for deer it is in order for them to use it on Wild Boar but if applying for Wild Boar only the reason will be assessed."

Strangely, this has now been changed to read:

"The meeting was advised that DEFRA‟s recommendation was for .270 calibre to be used on wild boar. This was to have been raised at the National Conference, which has now been cancelled. However the meeting was advised that applicants should apply for cover on all lawful animals and should ask for wild boar. If an applicant has a calibre for deer that is also suitable for wild boar, for example .270, .30-06, .308 or higher (or equivalent), it is in order for them to request to use that calibre against Wild boar. If applying for a rifle calibre with wild boar as the primary good reason, then in this case, as it would be for the case above, the existence of wild boar must be established."

Bit of an about-face there then! However, it has little effect on those who have 'any other lawful quarry' as a condition against a sub .270 firearm - I have it as a single D&C condition, (as do many others in this force area), relating to all my firearms from .22 to .308, so my 6.5x57 would qualify. Legally, so would my 22-250, but that would be down to my decision, as they have obviously regarded me and others as responsible shooters - so a no go there then.
    Last edited by Orion; 03-12-2010 at 22:14.

Hmm so its only a recommendation, not law as such? so if you we to ask they would have to refuse 6.5 and give a just reason??? Also I take it if you have already been granted a 6.5 for deer then you wouldnt need to have the land as such (as you already have the calibre for deer anyway), that way a shooter could book with someone advertising wild boar shooting at the last minute so to speak?...would I be correct???

I think you'll find much more likely to accept with .270 and over. (which is 6.85mm)
    Last edited by devonoak; 03-12-2010 at 21:23. Reason: conversion to metric

Thats what I am led to believe but its only a recommendation in the Home Office guide?

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Thats what I am led to believe but its only a recommendation in the Home Office guide?
    Yes, but it really comes down to how closely your issuing force adhere to the HO Guidance. Throw in the fact that many of them 'cherry pick' from the guidance to suit their own policies, and the answer is yes they will or may specify a minimum of .270, probably, possibly, maybe, certainly!

The whole situation regarding wild boar and firearms licensing is, IMHO, a crock of sh*t that came about because DEFRA latched on to what FC were using as an issue calibre - hence we are stuck with .270, but no-one seems to be able to give a sensible reason why. I believe that 6.5x55 (or equivalent) is acceptable in those continental countries that specify a minimum calibre for boar, (Sweden?), so why didn't we follow the lead of those countries with far greater experience in shooting boar than ourselves?

As I said before, the best and easiest way to sort the situation out is get AOLQ on your ticket and be sensible in what you use.
    Last edited by Orion; 03-12-2010 at 22:16.

Ok thanks for that, I shall do exactly that.

Chickeman,

Subtle difference between a 156gr in a 24' barrel and a 140 gr in the usual 20" "UK" barrel.

Personally I use a 9.3 x 62, 285gr.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Subtle difference between a 156gr in a 24' barrel and a 140 gr in the usual 20" "UK" barrel.
    RWS give data for their 140gr bullet from a 29" barrel, which seems very long.

24' on the other hand....