Thread: counter-signing

counter-signing

Recently I had a visit from a firearms officer, as I'd given written permission for someone else to shoot (with a centrefire rifle) over part of my land, and he wanted to check out the terrain. Anyway, in conversation I mentioned that I'd been for a long time considering applying for a sec.1 certificate myself, but never got round to it. "Do it now" he said, "because it's soon going to get harder, take longer and cost more". True to his word, he sent me all the necessary bumph next day. No probs finding suitable referees - asked same folk who've signed my shotgun licence renewel from time to time over past 20-something years, a magistrate and a minister of religion. Interestingly, the Rev'd had just recieved a circular from "head office" (God??) saying that it was likely that soon all firearm licence applications and renewels would need to be counter-signed in the prescence of a solicitor! Has anyone else heard of this? Obviously, folk won't be so willing to do it if it's going to mean a trip into town, and associated expenses.

Just had my renewal documentation (about two months ahead of time) from North Wales Police and there's no mention of anything like that.

No, it wasn't in the info I got from the police. It was something that had been sent out by the church, to ministers, advising them that in future they would probably need to go to a solicitors office to sign firearms licenses. Presumably the church had been forewarned of proposed changes to legislation?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    No, it wasn't in the info I got from the police. It was something that had been sent out by the church, to ministers, advising them that in future they would probably need to go to a solicitors office to sign firearms licenses. Presumably the church had been forewarned of proposed changes to legislation?
    Sounds more like to me the church do not want their vicars/priests involved with counter signing with all thie adverse publicity of late rather than a legal requirement.
    Regards
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Sounds like the church covering their collective posterior to me. Thing is, they cannot pass the cost on to the requestor as I believe there is a clause stating that you cannot pay for a reference.

Yes, there is that clause. The requestor can't pay the referee. But that doesn't preclude the requestor from having to pay a solicitor to witness signing.
    I did wonder if the solicitors cost would be incorporated into the overall fee? Perhaps that was part of the increase that the officer was hinting at?

I can't imagine asking the vicar to sign it anyway.... if I could catch him sober that is
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox