Thread: Sika calling outside of the rut

Sika calling outside of the rut

Has anyone tried calling sika outside of the rut? Now that the rut is over I thought to ask as I know the stags will occasionally whistle and the hinds give that warning bark/whistle as well. I am also told the hinds will call quietly to calves but haven't heard that myself.

As documented elsewhere I experimented with calling during the rut, mostly for my own entertainment, and found it to be moderately successful but with no pattern to the success and with the stags coming in very carefully indeed. So, I thought to ask in case someone has managed to extent the calling "season" so I can continue my experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Has anyone tried calling sika outside of the rut? Now that the rut is over I thought to ask as I know the stags will occasionally whistle and the hinds give that warning bark/whistle as well. I am also told the hinds will call quietly to calves but haven't heard that myself.

As documented elsewhere I experimented with calling during the rut, mostly for my own entertainment, and found it to be moderately successful but with no pattern to the success and with the stags coming in very carefully indeed. So, I thought to ask in case someone has managed to extent the calling "season" so I can continue my experiments.

fire starter thread this may become....
    I dont stalk sika as they are not on my syndicate lands or shooting grounds but roe are and i have called them out of the rut and had success.
    what i would say before i get jumped on the calling i do was more by accident than purpose as posted before on here.
    one thing about excessive calling is that they will get accustomed to it and it can/may ruin your chances in the right months.

your choice
    do let us know

atb f.

I posted on a previous thread about calling in a Sika stag well after the close season in Scotland (we had the appropriate licences). I cannot remember exactly but it would have been November/December time. I spotted the tips of his tines over a small rise down a ride. All I needed was for him to walk up the hill a bit towards me and present his neck as me stalking in would have brought me out virtually on top of him and too close for a shot. Curiosity got the better of him. There was no doubt by his posturing he wanted to see what was making the noise. Anything is worth a try within reason. Moderate success well before the real start and after the main rutting activity too.

Curiosity will kill the Cat at any time of the year. And as Sika can come into season at odd times, it is well worth a go. Despite the past rut being a rather poor affair I still managed to call out 9 stags, from an apparent silent forest. Only last Wednesday, I saw a Red stag roaring his head off and herding a hind at a silage bale feeding station. He chased away all the other bemused and hungry stags and was giving it hell for leather....

Thanks for the replies - I know the sika can be nosey and what everyone has said sort of supports this so I might keep giving the call the occasional whistle just to see what happens. It certainly doesn't seem to chase them away and maybe I will get lucky. Last year I had a calf born in October/November time and suspect that it was a young stag that covered the hind so I am certain they will do odd things at odd times. Reports will follow if I manage to gain any insight.