New Breeks needed!

flyingfisherman

Well, managed to rip the crotch out of my breeks yesterday getting over a barbed wire fence.. My tweed jacket has also seen better days so am looking at a matching set. Anyone know of any good deals or recommend any? I would prefer to go downt he goretex lined jacket route as my current one is goretex lined and is tip-top.

Oh, and obviously, being a yorkshireman, i want a good deal!

PS: Anyone used Musto Technical?

Last edited:
The NOMAD "tweed" products are not tweed, they are dyed and look cheap and are made in Asia as that is where my smock went for repair (3 months). If you want real tweed look and support Scottish weavers P.J. Haggart of Aberfeldy and in particular their "Strualach" jackets... good enough for the royal family and their estates they will serve you well.

Last edited:
I have told him that they are not a pure tweed which
1. hold a huge ammount of water and get very heavy
2.unless you manage to get an original style tweed they are not hard wearing and are not warm

from personal experiance on the hill tops beside lochnagar we got out of the rover to stalk hinds the stalker got out wearing a tweed suit and proceeded to put on a pair of waterproof leggings
myself got out wearing a hooded smock and plus 4s under which i had on a t shirt
by the end of the day stalker couldnt wait to get off the hill to heat up
i would of been more than happy to stay out for another couple of hours

in the end its your money ,your decission
but please do think everything through first .

regards
steve

I've always struggled to find a pair that fit me properly, off the peg breeks were always either too long or full in the leg.
I've ended up with some made to measure breeks from Bookster, they are superb.
You get to choose the cloth you want (they'll send you sample swatches) and can have them made how you like. I got them to send me a "try Pair" in their standard measurments for a 32" waist so I could see how I wanted them adjusting in terms of leg width, seat height and length. They are great to deal with and the breeks are far superior to anything off the peg I've tried including musto technical.
If you go with a heavyweight tight weave tweed with teflon coating they should be pretty water repellant, Mine have been warm and comfy even after walking through wet Kale.
Price wise they work out quite a bit cheaper than the musto's, prices start at about £110.
http://www.tweed-jacket.com/JACKET%20PAGE/Tweed%20Shooting%20Jacket.html

If you can make it through to next years fair/show season, there are always good deals to be had on Laksen garments in last years tweeds. Good quality and good value if you can get them for around half the retail price.

I am at a loss as to why people compare Nomad products to tweed, like comparing apples to oranges.

Its always worth a look on ebay or an ask around 'keepering circles, most 'keepers have several old suits hanging around but its usually the breeks that are the first bit to be worn out. (usually the arse from sitting in the truck!)

JC

Cheers guys, i am looking for proper tweed really, im not averse to the nomad stuff and always willing to look at new technology. I may try and hang on and get something in the sales.. It would make sense, but ive got another half a dozen shoot days and would be nice to have some breeks. The only ones ive seen so far which look good are the musto technicals, musto generally make good gear so im attracted towards them. Im steering clear of le chameau as the quality of all products ive had by them are cr*p.

Cheers guys, i am looking for proper tweed really, im not averse to the nomad stuff and always willing to look at new technology. I may try and hang on and get something in the sales.. It would make sense, but ive got another half a dozen shoot days and would be nice to have some breeks. The only ones ive seen so far which look good are the musto technicals, musto generally make good gear so im attracted towards them. Im steering clear of le chameau as the quality of all products ive had by them are cr*p.

I've got a couple of smart suits, if you let me know when and where the shoots are I'll try and stand in for you if that would help, I don't mind supplying my own cartridges! On a serious note, have a look on ebay, several on there at the moment depending on size. JC

i had mine made at john brocklehurst of bakewell derbyshire, you should find them on the net, top class job.

If i was you id keep off the pies and stitch up the old ones like a proper yorkshire man !!:rofl:

Aye

I got mine from my local dealer , Pheonix tweeds, not very dear but a great fit and very high quality.
ATB

HUNTERS CABIN Can you tell me what material Nomad clothes are made of in this dat an age we should all be useing natural stuffs eg wools cottons

Last edited:
John norris tend to have the musto technical stuff in teh sales. I got mine from them for about half the normal retail price a couple of seasons ago. I would say try before you buy though as I found them reallllllly long. I take a regular inside leg trouser and the musto's finished about 2" above my ankle.
They are good quality but for me the fit isn't quite right.

£200 for a pair of breeks that when turned inside out look like they have been cut with a chainsaw... they are made in ASIA i now keep my money in GB.
I have a pair of Nomad breeks, a smock, a short jacket and a long tailed hooded coat and to be honest it is good for keeping the water out if you don't mind looking like the Grim Reaper....

New Breeks needed

Spent a boring Frampton show next to Nomad.
Advice good, plenty of product enthusiasm but no sales talk
Products beyond reproach
talk to them and get a view.
I use Ratcatcher breeks but while they are warm they are wet and warm rather than waterproof.legging etc are needed.the Nomad claim is that you can sit upto your best bits(gently brought up you know) in a stream and not leak.If I had the money I would try some.
Old tweed was steeped in urine to fix the die .is this where taking the p@ss came from?(wondered about Father)
Kit
www.muntjactrading.co.uk

Only HARRIS tweed was set in male urine collected in milk urns left at the road ends. Top tip... take your own milk to Harris?

Back