Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Possible pressure sign

  1. #1

    Possible pressure sign

    Just shooting my 6.5 x 55 today. Load of 49 grains N160 with 120 grain heads. Never had any problems...or havent noticed any , but today a couple of cases were a bit tight when I when to eject them and the bolt was hard to lift. I also noticed the ones that were hard to lift had a mark on the face of the case from the ejector. Im pretty sure this is a pressure sign ...and others with me agreed....if I am backing off the pressures should I do it in half grain incriments or less?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Just shooting my 6.5 x 55 today. Load of 49 grains N160 with 120 grain heads. Never had any problems...or havent noticed any , but today a couple of cases were a bit tight when I when to eject them and the bolt was hard to lift. I also noticed the ones that were hard to lift had a mark on the face of the case from the ejector. Im pretty sure this is a pressure sign ...and others with me agreed....if I am backing off the pressures should I do it in half grain incriments or less?
    Your load is a bit on the hot side me thinks,check your maximum load with vit 160,I believe you are above max load

    https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Just shooting my 6.5 x 55 today. Load of 49 grains N160 with 120 grain heads. Never had any problems...or havent noticed any , but today a couple of cases were a bit tight when I when to eject them and the bolt was hard to lift. I also noticed the ones that were hard to lift had a mark on the face of the case from the ejector. Im pretty sure this is a pressure sign ...and others with me agreed....if I am backing off the pressures should I do it in half grain incriments or less?
    sounds a little warm to me too mate !

    i have used 46gn N160 with 120gn barnes tipped tsx shifting a sniff over 2800fps ,now using 51.5gn N560 with the barnes 120's and they are doing 2900fps.

    both with no pressure signs

    cheers lee

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Your load is a bit on the hot side me thinks,check your maximum load with vit 160,I believe you are above max load
    According to Vhit, the load is about a grain under listed maximum, but as we can see, that didn't' make it a safe load. (If the consensus is that it is a pressure problem) Another example of why these are reloading "guides" not a journal of absolutely, 100% applicable data for each rifle.~Muir

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    According to Vhit, the load is about a grain under listed maximum, but as we can see, that didn't' make it a safe load. (If the consensus is that it is a pressure problem) Another example of why these are reloading "guides" not a journal of absolutely, 100% applicable data for each rifle.~Muir
    I believe the maximum is 46.5g of Vit N160 or at least it was,I may be mistaken Muir,that was a while ago for 120g BT on their own website

    https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  6. #6
    Thanks for the replies gents...if I recall the powder charts said start at 46 upto 50.1 I think???? might have even been a wee bit higher. I tried at 46 but I got black soot down the cases until I got to around 47 grains...this is all from memory as I dont have my data at hand...would you suggest I ditch all the bullets I have made??? and go back to say 48 grains???

    Pete

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I believe the maximum is 46.5g of Vit N160 or at least it was,I may be mistaken Muir,that was a while ago for 120g BT on their own website
    Wolverine, spot on that man! http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data...20-Grains.aspx

    ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

  8. #8
    Check out nosler ballistic data for Vit N160,120g BT,start load at 42 to 46.5g,I believe

    https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  9. #9
    Cheers flytie that's the link

    https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

  10. #10
    just checked....they say 50.7 max.................but I went off Vihts info

Similar Threads

  1. primer signs of pressure
    By sauer in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 10:01
  2. First sign of rut
    By roedeerred in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 09:55
  3. cant sign in
    By biglad in forum Site Help/Problems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 23:21
  4. pressure problems
    By heathrobinson in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 18:54
  5. CHURCH SIGN
    By The Mole in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 21:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •