Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible pressure sign

Possible pressure sign

Just shooting my 6.5 x 55 today. Load of 49 grains N160 with 120 grain heads. Never had any problems...or havent noticed any , but today a couple of cases were a bit tight when I when to eject them and the bolt was hard to lift. I also noticed the ones that were hard to lift had a mark on the face of the case from the ejector. Im pretty sure this is a pressure sign ...and others with me agreed....if I am backing off the pressures should I do it in half grain incriments or less?

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Just shooting my 6.5 x 55 today. Load of 49 grains N160 with 120 grain heads. Never had any problems...or havent noticed any , but today a couple of cases were a bit tight when I when to eject them and the bolt was hard to lift. I also noticed the ones that were hard to lift had a mark on the face of the case from the ejector. Im pretty sure this is a pressure sign ...and others with me agreed....if I am backing off the pressures should I do it in half grain incriments or less?
    Your load is a bit on the hot side me thinks,check your maximum load with vit 160,I believe you are above max load

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    sounds a little warm to me too mate !

i have used 46gn N160 with 120gn barnes tipped tsx shifting a sniff over 2800fps ,now using 51.5gn N560 with the barnes 120's and they are doing 2900fps.

both with no pressure signs

cheers lee

Discretion assured

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Your load is a bit on the hot side me thinks,check your maximum load with vit 160,I believe you are above max load
    According to Vhit, the load is about a grain under listed maximum, but as we can see, that didn't' make it a safe load. (If the consensus is that it is a pressure problem) Another example of why these are reloading "guides" not a journal of absolutely, 100% applicable data for each rifle.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    According to Vhit, the load is about a grain under listed maximum, but as we can see, that didn't' make it a safe load. (If the consensus is that it is a pressure problem) Another example of why these are reloading "guides" not a journal of absolutely, 100% applicable data for each rifle.~Muir
    I believe the maximum is 46.5g of Vit N160 or at least it was,I may be mistaken Muir,that was a while ago for 120g BT on their own website

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Thanks for the replies gents...if I recall the powder charts said start at 46 upto 50.1 I think???? might have even been a wee bit higher. I tried at 46 but I got black soot down the cases until I got to around 47 grains...this is all from memory as I dont have my data at hand...would you suggest I ditch all the bullets I have made??? and go back to say 48 grains???

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I believe the maximum is 46.5g of Vit N160 or at least it was,I may be mistaken Muir,that was a while ago for 120g BT on their own website
    Wolverine, spot on that man! http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data...20-Grains.aspx

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Check out nosler ballistic data for Vit N160,120g BT,start load at 42 to 46.5g,I believe

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Cheers flytie that's the link

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook