Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio 4 - Food Program - Venison

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Radio 4 - Food Program - Venison

Next Sunday on Radio 4's Food Program they will be looking at the market for venison, both wild and farmed. Here is the blurb from the BBC website:

12 Dec 2010 12:3212:57 BBC Radio 4

Venison - Sheila Dillon finds out why so much British venison ends up being sent abroad.
    It should be available on iPlayer afterwards, in which case I'll post another link.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks Willie, you are a gentleman!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I hope James Naughtie won't be presenting it....or perhaps I do, after his spoonerism this morning.

I heard that too! I don't know which was funniest, the spoonerism itself, the possible political insult or the abbreviated link to the pips and the stiffled guffaws in the background as Naughtie stumbled through the news headlines. Live radio - love it!

Laugh again here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ay-jeremy-hunt

and since we're on the subject, here's another classic -

/l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I hope James Naughtie won't be presenting it....or perhaps I do, after his spoonerism this morning.
    Could be interesting if he mentions going hunting!

Does he have a genuine cough or is he trying to suppress his laughter?!?!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Here is the link to the replay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00wlbht

A refreshingly candid and genuinely interesting program I thought.

Mike Robinson and Alan Hayward (Vicars Game) came across well, as did Nicola Fletcher and Christian Nissen (Highland Game).

A good explanation of why we should be eating venison, starting with a typical stalking outing and a cull in a deer park. Nice to hear Sheila Dillon saying how much better it was for the deer to be shot in the open than the conditions in a typical abbatoir. Then a good description of the gralloch, with an explanation of the pluck and the requirements to inspect the deer.

After that, Nicola Fletcher describes the difference between farmed and wild deer, with Christian Nissen going on to describe why venison should have a higher profile in the market, with people culling deer nowadays primarily to put them into the food chain rather than as a trophy.

Then Alan Hayward describing his game processing facility - Sheila Dillon obviously had not seen muntjac, roe, fallow and red alongside each other before, so she was quite taken aback at seeing them. A lot of the game shot now goes to London and restaurants, whereas in the past 90% of it was for export. He then talks about how, over the last 5 years, more and more people have gained an understanding of venison and the different species available. About 5,000 of the deer processed at Vicars now come in from Ireland - mostly Sika.

Christian Nissen talks about the changes he has seen since 1997, again describing how the market has shifted from export to home consumption, and the increase in marketing of 'species specific' venison.

They then touch on the health aspects of venison - low fat, high iron, etc - and how this might have contributed to its increase in popularity.

They then talk about the supermarkets and venison. Neither Alan Hayward now Julia Fletcher will deal with them whereas Christian Nissen does now sell to them - apparently there are now over 600 outlets offering venison.

Then they try some recipes, again from different deer.

Well worth a listen. Just a shame it was radio rather than TV.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just listened to this while tucking into Roe stir fry and having been stalking this afternoon.
    Great combination!

I though it was a great program. The contributors deserve our thanks for presenting such a professional public face to the sport and to the provision of quality food.

Having seen Alan Haywoods processing plant in Berkshire I don't think they could have picked a better place. They measure their sausage production in tonnes per week...

Excellent.

I too listened to it and thought it was a very good programme. Not sure where the view on vension being similar price to other meats came from, in all the places/butchers I have seen it in of late it has been 13+ per kg, were as game dealer prices are about 2-2.5/kg for roe.Considering the timing on Sunday
    I expect demand will go up. Programme is available on i player if you missed it.

C

it was just repeated this aft at 4pm.

well balanced.