Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalking in the snow

stalking in the snow

im booked to go stalking (woodland/hill for red,fallow,roe ) wed thurs this week.im just wondering if its still worth going due to the weather conditions (snow) any input would be a help

where you going to mate
    so far today 3 inches of snow has fallen
    its not stopped since 8 am
    i know they have to eat but there is no way they can in this...
    its 20 inches deep in the shallow parts

The only deer I have seen over the past few weeks were underneath the tree canopy, feeding on grass that wasn't snow covered.
    Woodland stalking can be a bit more challenging, the deer have no cause to come out into the open areas, as there's little incentive of food. Also if the snows thawed and frozen, it can be really crunchy under foot.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    where you going to mate
    so far today 3 inches of snow has fallen
    its not stopped since 8 am
    i know they have to eat but there is no way they can in this...
    its 20 inches deep in the shallow parts
    im going to gatehouse on fleet 40 west of dumfreise

Stalking is nearly impossible though we did get one yesterday morning.
    I am ambushing deer on beat crops game crops and feeders.
    Though I am taking great care to only target doe followers.

I am with jon on this walking stalking is not really on but you can still sit out and get a few of the edges. But if i was paying i would contact my agent see if he thinks it will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    The only deer I have seen over the past few weeks were underneath the tree canopy, feeding ......
    Got a roe doe and later a sika calf on Fri am both feeding the edge of trees, using my snowshoes and 4sticks. Rgds JCS

I always find it easier to walk and stalk in the snow among the trees - noise apart.

I find it much easier to see deer - or more usually parts of deer.

The problem then is threading a bullet through the trees to find the right part of the deer! Patience usually pays off but seeing bobbing tails legging it is not uncommon.

I was out last saturday and the lad i was out with got a wee doe but we had bumped a few first and then on our way back we saw about 6 differnt sets of track heading from our wood so its hard work but when you hit its the best feeling (The harder the challange and all that)

I love stalking in snow but up north when I went up to get my trail cam the other weekend and have a wander there was about 18 inch lying. That was hard work tramping to go and get the cam and forget any stalking but I did end up to my tits in a ditch that had filled with snow. If I didn't have my sticks I'd still been stuck there!