Thread: hour in the hide

hour in the hide

The last day of the recent snow saw me unable to work so a trip out to the rape fields was in order .Arrived at 11.30 to see a field bare of pigeon .Not good but decided to set up regardless near to a copse that i know is a flight line if not a sitting point .Threw a net over a low branch and waited .Wasnt long before the first customer flew over and number one was in the bag ,followed by a left and right at crows .Set the trio up with a bit of distance between the species and no sooner had i got back in the hide than a snipe flew straight at me from the far hedgerow,jinked and provided a testing shot as it flew into the copse behind me .The shot was good and i was full of confidence of a decent bag .A couple of misses followed by a steady stream of hits and then disaster ,the bottem barrel on the lanber sporter jammed and refused to play ball.With top barrel only i managed 12 pigeons and seven crows of assorted types and the snipe .Left with birds still streaming over my head as the daughter needed picking up from colledge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 037.jpg  

Very cool! Are those pigeons considered 'edible'. By that I mean do folks eat birds taken the way you took them here? I like eating squab, and unless there was something "wrong" with them, I'd eat those birds (not the crows) in a heartbeat.

Regards,
    Paul

Yup. Pigeon breast goulash with lots of smoky paprika, red wine and pasta is a favourite in this establishment. Then again most things that walk, crawl or swim end up in a pan here...

Made 17lbs of mixed game pate yesterday. It's so mixed it's currently having an identity crisis

Every breast used make .Wife excels in the kitchen luckily

Nice bit of shooting and a hearty meal too only the pigeon

Nice bag foxdropper, sadly I've not been out for amonth now, will be getting my ass kicked by the farmer.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    Very cool! Are those pigeons considered 'edible'. By that I mean do folks eat birds taken the way you took them here? I like eating squab, and unless there was something "wrong" with them, I'd eat those birds (not the crows) in a heartbeat.

Regards,
    Paul
    There are a few species of pigeon over here, and out of those the Wood Pigeon is very much an edible quarry, the breast meat is really good dark red, almost like steak.

The Feral Pigeon (like the pigeons across mainland USA) is not generally considered safe to eat, and after that the rest of the pigeon varieties are not on the legal quarry list anyway.

Thanks, John. That is similar to here. Feral pigeons (Columba livia) - originally from the middle east - are generally not considered 'good food'. Raised in captivity they are of course the "delicacy" called squab. However, we have a couple of indigenous pigeons over here including the band-tailed pigeon (Columba fasciata)* that too are considered excellent table fare.

* There is some dispute over the genus names of NA pigeons. Some taxonomists want Columba to be "Old World" birds and Patioenus to be the "New World" genus. Pick your poison.

Thanks,
    Paul

I should have mentioned, we use "squab" to mean a very young pigeon. I guess that is much the same there.