Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: same powder for .243 and .308?

same powder for .243 and .308?

I'm just about to start out reloading (.243 80gn for fox and deer and .308 150 gn probably).

what do you guys reccomend for a common powder for both loads, or should i have a different powder for each??

i'm currently shooting some speer 2023's (.308 150gn) with n140 that someone made for me, which seem pretty good to me, shoot same poi as federal 150gn blue box.

thanks in advance.

common powder

you might have a look at Varget? or reloader 15

i think if you stay with the fairly light .243 bullets you will be ok to share powders but when you go up in wieght the .243 will like slower powders.

N140 will also be ok but you will not get the same speeds.

here are some links

viht

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=850

hodgdon

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

alliant

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

vectan

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/vectan.php

steve

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I looked through various books, Speer/Lee etc. I was wanting a suitable powder for both calibers .243 and .308, I narrowed it down to 2 or 3. I then spoke to EMcC about the choices I had narrowed it down to. H380 being the favorite...He agreed and said it is a very good powder.

I have only reloaded for the .243, 100gr heads at the moment, 2 batches were Sh** to say the least but I've got a good load now. 10 rounds sub MOA, whatever that means . All within an inch at 100m...

Good enough for me.

Hope to reload some .308 over the next 2 weeks.

Vit. N140.

Hi.
    I use Vit. N140 all the time in my .243 Sako Varminter and Tikka T3 Hunter.
    75 gr. V.Max., 40.5 gr Vit. N140. [Federal 210GM Primers.]
    68 gr. Berger HP. 40.5 gr. Vit. N140. [A one-hole group at 100 yds out of the Sako Varminter.]
    This rifle also shoots a one-hole group with the 87 gr. V.Max. bullet and 46 gr of Vit. N160. and Fed. Match primer.

Below are .243 loads from my Vit. guide. [ start 10% below for safety.]

70 gr. Hornady bullet, 41.7 gr Vit. N140.
    75 gr HP Hornady, 40.9 gr. " "

80 gr. SP Norma, 38.4 gr. " "
    90 gr. Sako, 36 gr. " "
    100 gr. Sako, 35 gr. " "

HWH.

Swampy has pointed you in the right direction, check out the various manufacturers sites.

I read from your post that you are at present shooting some rounds that somebody else made for you, and now you are intending to start out on your own, is that right? If it is I cannot emphasise enough the importance of a good reloading manual. This will contain powder recommendations for various bullets, and will give velocity and pressure readings as well as amounts of powder to use. I always recommend Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, to people just starting out in reloading. It is now on it's second edition. It is informative, easy to read and contains a step by step guide to reloading with over 350 pages of load information. If you are just starting out in reloading please do not attempt shortcuts, there are none. I know people who have been reloading for 40 years and are still learning, more importantly they are prepared to admit they are still learning.

Let us know how you get on.

John

Vit N140

I would have a try with Vit N140. I use this and have great results in 308 and 22-250.

Was using hgdon H380 in the 22-250 but cold not get any. very happy to have bought the N140 though.

i use magnum primers and dont go full load as i am just looking for a decent group

I have a bash see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB
    I read from your post that you are at present shooting some rounds that somebody else made for you, and now you are intending to start out on your own, is that right?
    John
    when i bought the .308 i was given a supply of homeloads from the previous owner, which were used. i tried factory winchester 150gn which didnt group well ( i didnt have moderator bush fitted at time), then factory federal which grouped sub 1" (with mod bush now fitted). my local dealer then only had 1 box of federal which i snapped up, but i didnt want more winchester. i was put in contact with this local guy that reloads for various people (he measures the guns dimensions, oal etc., keeps details etc , and as far as i can tell does it very neatly/properly. he is a keen/experienced stalker and also shoots in the england match rifle team, 1200m targets!!)

he's going to give me a few lessons, and i'll probably take guidance from him on powder, but i just wanted a few different oppinions from you lot.

thanks.

intersting comment from my guy, said in a well spoken voice, whilst looking over his glasses at me, holding a vernier caliper, wearing cardigan and slippers (picture it )

"this modern factory stuff goes too fast, you need to slow the bullets down a bit, let them spend some time in the beast to do their job"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksden

"this modern factory stuff goes too fast, you need to slow the bullets down a bit, let them spend some time in the beast to do their job"
    Well, I could not have put it better myself.

John

I use Varget in the 22-250 and 308.
    Really nice clean powder. Fills the 308 case nicely.
    Should be good for the 243.
    Somehow I had less pressure signs with Varget compared to N140.

edi

bullets

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksden

Well, I could not have put it better myself.

John
    i think this is a really good point. Lots of people highly rate the 6.5x55 swedish round. with 140 gr bullets people say it punches above it's wieght. i think that it has a high sectional density and is travelling at a moderate velocity maybe 2600 fps (the book price is about 2700 but thats without loosing a bit due to hunting rifle vs test barrel conditions).

I use a 7mm08 which is loaded to a book (2900) although with it's 18 inch barrels i would think it is 100 fps slower. I use 145 gr bullets and it is super effective.

When i used .243 with 80 gr bullets i found i got more runners and much more carcass damage.

it is not all about speed.

swampy