Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose Decoys

Goose Decoys

Ok i'v been at the geese a fair bit the last few days, i have a hide set up and i think i need to get a few decoys. Im thinking i'l just use a few geese which i'v already shot, i'm gonna prop them up with some wire so they look alive. Anyone else done this before? will it work?

I have used that technique loads of times, also when i have been clattering the pigeons. It works a treat. Cheers Rich

I believe years ago the old boys down on the Wash used to do just that, also sitting them flat on the deck with head and neck over their backs so they look as if they're sleeping, I suppose it gives incoming birds confidence.

cheers. yea gonna go out before light tomorrow and try it i think

Think iot will work fine. If you can get some full bodied decoys too then you can mix them up. Me and a mate have 10 between us which work a treat (not cheap though). Yopu can also buy the bad type which are cheap and quite effective.

I have used decoys, but somewhere in the back of my mind I can here an old boy telling me not to use ones you have shot. I have add pigeons to a pattern as alot of people do with good results.

Let us know how you get on, obviously after the ban is lifted. Are you shooting them over the fields there?
    Last edited by aliS; 09-12-2010 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by HoyBoy View Post
    cheers. yea gonna go out before light tomorrow and try it i think
    there is a "SHOOTING BAN ON" For at least 14 Day's

It will be reviewed after 7 days, so can be lifted early.

I would bet your bottom dollar if any one was to blatantly breech the ban then organisations such as BASC may ban you, maybe even the possibility of having your s/g fac certificates revoked by firearms licensing.

I think a lot of people may doubt this last statement but if you consider this ban is a statutory then acting in defiance of this would indicate you are not a responsible person.

The birds are in poor condition our way now anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    I believe years ago the old boys down on the Wash used to do just that, also sitting them flat on the deck with head and neck over their backs so they look as if they're sleeping, I suppose it gives incoming birds confidence.
    x2 on that ,it works a treat, & also pop one way down the bank/ field as if it comming into land in the coys direction..wings /neck out . Good luck

I didn't here about the ban until the 10th when i read the local paper and obvuously havn't been shooting since. does anyone know if the ban is to be lifted in the new year?. greylag geese are vermin here in orkney, i do not care what condition they are in as long as they are either dead or destroying someone else's grazing not mine. The situation is getting rediculous, i reckon there were at least 1200 of them on a single 8 acre patch of turnips one morning.