Pretty but deadly

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
The snowy and cold conditions look nice but they are deadly. This is the view out back of my place, that is the Kyle of Sutherland and it is still tidal at this point but as you can see it is almost frozen over.

I have had enough of the pretty now and it can go anytime it likes. Whatever happened to global warming :D

KyleofSutherland.jpg

John

"Whatever happened to global warming"

Funnily enough it changed into "climate change" when the summers started getting grotty and the winters got cold!

As a youngster I remember people saying another ice age was on it's way, and as it stands I think I'd put my money on them!

Nice view you have though, I'm envious :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".
There are some who reckon the primary reason for us being unable to cope with recent snowfalls, is the fact that the scientists have spent the past decade telling government and council departments that there's no need to prepare, as snowfalls will be a rare event due to climate change..

Last edited:
We could do with some `global warming` here as my incoming water supply is frozen.
I have had to bring in snow and melt it in a pan to wash a few pots, there is bugger-all exciting about this
as only a tiny amount of water is retrieved from a large pan full of snow.

HWH.

that article was printed over ten years ago... a lot has happened to our climate since.

I think climate change is just the term coined to define the results of global warming.

we're in an interglacial (the holocene), so we are expected to be gradually slipping into an ice age any time now, as we were when you were a youngster. as this interglacial's been going on for 11,000 years or something it's not going to happen over night, could still be a few hundred or even thousand years

i don't think the recent harsh winters we've had are a reason to dispute whether global warming is happening (speeding up this 'gradual slip'), more to add weight to climate change through a shift in wind's - specifically for us, the north atlantic oscillation.

Alex

I totally agree not worked now for two weeks and its starting to get a bit tiresome i am sure some companys could even go to wall because of this very bad timeing.Still jon very nice pictures you will be fishing like the eskimos soon ie hole in the ice.

John, I recall the mid-fifties when the river froze down to the bedrocks, axe blades got chipped when hitting Sitka spruce knots, your hands stuck to anything metal and a crust of frost built up on top of the fallen snow. The frost flakes bukkt up into things bigger than butterfly wings and if you broke through the crust you'd sink to your thigh with blood on the snow where you got scraped.

I think that this might well be what we'll have for a few years and people should get themselves prepared. They had a warning last year and ignored it, and it seems that they got caught with their pants down all over again.

I agree - I wish it would sod-off as it's not my idea of fun, but I fear that we might have to adjust our minds because we are banging at a force much greater than man can devise - other than blowing the planet up.

From what a oceanologist friend told me, if the gulf stream continues to get diluted with glacial water then we could lose it and then look forward to conditions like Newfoundland. It is afterall on the same latitude as us. A sobering thought.

Aye, the snow is nice for a few days but its now time it was away. Its more the cold that is the nuisance

The larder is frozen, icicles hanging off the beasts and your hands stick to the larder bench when you go to move it, the floor, table and vehicles are covered in frozen blood and the game dealer is struggling to make regular collection.

Saying that, I would rather this than the rain :D

I remember regular ski-ing through the 80's in November, :( that feels old , and as an apprentice walking through snow the 3 miles to work in November and the remnants of said snow still being on the ground in Feb. We've had a lot of mild winters since maybe its on the turn. I also remember drawing a house to deal with the new Ice-age returning back in the early 70's at primary school. I drew an Igloo. We slid on iced pavements the 500yds too school for weeks !.

This is the longest really cold period so early in the winter that I can remember. It has been below zero for the last fortnight at least.
Sent some carcasses to the dealer this morning and they were all rock solid.
It looks like a long winter.
S.

Today out stalking time to give up for a while me thinks

9-12-2010013.jpg

But it sure looks good
viewoverlandcold.jpg

All i saw was foxes foxes and more foxes

9-12-2010021.jpg

9-12-2010018.jpg

Last edited:
you cant grumble about being out there, even if you didnt see any deer mate and its a beautiful place

snowed in

On the day this photo was taken the wife got out of our 4x4 to help a car stuck in front of her.Wife was wearing good coat,hat and gloves and had shovel and grit in back of 4x4,the lady in the stuck car got out wearing a T-shirt and denims :rolleyes:
Yes it's time it all went,shame the snow off the roof is taking our gutters with it though.

fraser

Attachments

• snowed in.JPG
    snowed in.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 30
And for those venturing into the hills don't forget about AVALANCHES. There have already been quite a few. Two even visable from the Edinburgh bypass to the east of the ski centre. Avalanches kill many each winter. A good friend who is a very experienced mountaineer was caught in one in Glencoe last winter that took his two colleagues over a cliff. And an avalanche does need to be very big to knock you off your feet and take over an edge. And a lot of stalking is on pretty steep ground. Most at risk are 30 to 45 degree slopes.

Scottish Avalanche Information Service has lots of info on their website Avalanche Information for Scotland | sportscotland Avalanche Information Service

My nostrels stuck to the inside bit of my nose when I was breathing in this morning defrosting the car. My nose felt weird for hours after with a horrible tingly feeling. I have a bit of a cold and I was not impressed when they stuck.

Back